1

Y/n was scared. They were on a boat and were absolutely terrified. Water scared them so much. They'd been warned so fiercely against going near it. It would burn Boo's skin and both their Papas always warned them of what lurked in the deep.

They missed home so much, and most of all, they missed their little brother. The only reason that he was still at home was because they'd saved him. The only reason that Michael was safe was because they'd done this.

They didn't regret it one bit. They couldn't say they didn't feel incredibly homesick though. They missed Uncle Tommy and baking with Niki and building with Philza and just running around.

The underside of the deck smelt like mould, and Y/n could hear the scuttling of rats across the wood. They were huddled up in the corner of the lower deck, rocking ever so slightly back and forth.

They were still wearing the clothes from when they were taken. They didn't know how long it had been, time felt like a blur. Their dark, sea green shirt had tears and tear stains on it - the colour was pretty ironic considering their current position.

They pushed the tears out of their eyes. Tommy had always said if Y/n was ever scared, too just sing this song.

"I heard there was a special place..."

They croaked out the first lyric, throat dry.

"Where men could emancipate"

"The brutality and the tyranny of their rulers"

"Well this place is real, you needn't fret"

"With Wilbur, Tommy, Tubbo, fuck Eret"

In Y/n's opinion, Eret was very nice. But the real thing that this lyric brought back was how they were from their family. They couldn't stop the tears from leaking out their eyes. They missed Tub and Boo and Michael.

"It's a very big and not blown up L'Manberg..."

"My L'Manberg, my L'Manberg, my-"

Y/n's quiet singing was interrupted by the stomping of boots on wood. They let out a small squeak, hugging their legs even tighter. The light of a torch flame flashed towards them, a woman being the holder of the torch.

"There you are." She crouched down to Y/n's level and looked them in the eyes. "It probably seems pretty shitty that we took you away from your family and all, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. We needed a new crewmate, and now you're here. Deal with it."

She stood up, dripping a set of clothes, a blanket and a mat at Y/n's feet.

"Change into these and get some sleep. You're straight on deck tomorrow."

--- when Y/n is 13 ---

The ship that Y/n had quickly learnt was called 'the Ariella' was docking with another ship today. Over the 8 months that Y/n had been on the Ariella, they'd learnt how to work the majority of the ship's functions.

Whilst Captain Tanya met with the captain of the other ship - a woman called 'Puffy' - Y/n was supposed to climb to the top of the ropes and watch the other boat for shady activity.

Y/n's rough and calloused hands made it easy to hoist themself up the ropes and perch at the top of the boat. This was the only space on the boat where Y/n felt they could be alone.

Y/n always came up here to think about everything that had gone on in less than a year. They constantly worried about how their family was doing... Was Tommy ok? Had Tub and Boo mourned them, thinking they were dead? Was Michael safe, and had he been confined to the houses and Snowchester? He'd be at least 11 now. These thoughts ran through their head on a daily basis.