CHAPTER 2 : Storm and new memories ?

EARLANA

They walked into the building, stopping here and there for Coach Hedge to lecture them with his megaphone, which alternatively made him sound like a Sith Lord or blared random comments like "The pig says oink."

Leo kept pulling out nuts, bolts, and pipe cleaners from the pockets of his army jacket and putting them together, like he had to keep his hands busy at all times. Jason just kept looking around, but the young latina could tell that he was lost in his thoughts trying to remember something. Some girls kept looking over at Piper and Dylan and snickering. Without wasting time, she deduced that it was the popular clique. They wore matching jeans, pink tops, and enough makeup to believe that they were prepared for a Halloween party. One of them said, "Hey, Piper, does your tribe run this place ? Do you get in free if you do a rain dance ?"

The other girls laughed, even Piper's so called partner, pendejo número uno suppressed a smile. Piper's snowboarding jacket sleeves hid her hands, but Earlana knew too well that she was clenching her fists.

"My Dad's Cherokee" Piper said, "Not Hualapai. 'Course you need a few brain cells to know the difference, Isabel."

The said Isabel widened her eyes in mocked surprise, so that she looked like an owl with a makeup addiction. "Oh, sorry. Was your mom in this tribe ? Oh, that's right ! You never knew your mom."

Piper charged her, but before a fight could start, Coach Hedge barked, "Enough back there ! Set a good example or I'll break out my baseball bat !"

The group shuffled to the next exhibit, but the girls kept calling out little comments to Piper.

"Good to be back to the rez ?" one asked with a sweet voice.

"Daddy's probably too drunk to work," said another with fake sympathy, "That's why she turned klepto."

Piper ignored them, but even if she couldn't remember her, Earlana couldn't bear the injustice. The latina was ready to fight, she felt like the girl didn't deserve all that, clenching her fists and she even took a step forward the group of makeup monsters. Deep inside her, there was something screaming to just pick up a fight, almost as if she wanted to get violent. But, Leo caught her arm and Jason's, who she didn't even see was also ready to fight. "Be cool guys. Piper doesn't really like it when others fight her battles, especially us. Besides, if these girls knew the truth about her dad, they'd be bowing down to her and screaming 'We're not worthy !'".

"Why ? What about her dad ?" Earlana asked, frowning a little.

Leo laughed in disbelief, "You're kidding ? You don't remember your best friend's or girlfriend's, for a certain blond, dad --"

"Look I wish I did, but I don't even remember her, much less her dad." Jason responded.

Leo whistled, "Whatever. We have to talk when we get back to the dorms."

They reached the far end of the exhibit hall, where some big glass doors led out to a terrace.

"All right, cupcakes," Coach Hedge announced, "You're about to see the Grand Canyon. Try not to break it. The skywalk can hold the height of seventy jumbo jets, so you featherweights should be safe out there. If possible, try to avoid pushing each other over the edge, as that would cause me extra paperwork."

The Coach opened the doors, and they all stepped outside. The Grand Canyon spread before them, live and in person, extending over the edge as a horseshoe-shaped walkway made of glass, so you could see right through it.

"Dude," Leo said. "That's pretty wicked !"

Earlana couldn't argue, despite her amnesia and the strong feeling that she and Jason didn't belong there, she knew how to take the time to admire a spectacular view.