CHAPTER 9 : Bungalow 15

JASON

They made their way through a row of newer cabins on the southwest corner of the central lawn. There were some very fancy ones with shiny facades or flaming torches, but cabin Fifteen was modest. With its adobe walls and reed roof, it had the appearance of a traditional thatched cottage. The front door was adorned with a wreath of bright orange flowers - poppies, Jason thought, but he wouldn't bet his life on it.

"Do you think this is my divine relative's cabin ?" he asked.

"No," said Annabeth. "It's Hypnos', the god of sleep."

"Then why..."

"You've forgotten everything. If there is any god who can help us understand amnesia, it is Hypnos."

Inside, though it was soon dinnertime three youngsters slept soundly under piles of blankets. A fire crackled in the other. Above the mantel hung a tree branch, and at the end of each twig beaded a white liquid that dripped into a series of pewter bowls. Jason was tempted to collect one on his finger, but refrained.

Soft violin music filled the space. The smell of freshly washed laundry wafted through the air. The cabin was so peaceful and cozy that Jason felt his eyelids grow heavy. He longed for a nap. He was exhausted. There were plenty of beds available with feather pillows, clean sheets and soft comforters... Annabeth nudged him.

"Get a grip !" she shouted at him.

Jason fluttered his eyelids. He realized that his legs were wobbly.

"cabin Fifteen has that effect on everyone," Annabeth warned. "If you ask me, it's more dangerous than the Ares cabin. At least in Ares, you end up knowing where the anti-personnel mines are placed."

"Anti-personnel mines ?"

She walked up to one of the snorers and shook him by the shoulder.

"Clovis, wake up !"

The boy looked like a baby calf. He had a tuft of white hair on a square head with thick features, supported by a fat neck. He was stocky but had spindly arms, as if he had carried nothing heavier than a pillow.

"Clovis !"

Annabeth shook him harder and ended up giving him half a dozen small blows on the forehead.

"What what what ?" grumbled Clovis as he sat up.

He fluttered his eyelids and let out a gigantic yawn. Annabeth and Jason imitated him at once.

"Stop !" said Annabeth. "We need your help."

"I was sleeping."

"You sleep all the time."

"Good night."

Without giving him time to drift off to sleep again, Annabeth snatched his pillow.

"That's not fair," Clovis complained in a small voice, "Give it back."

"Help us first. You can sleep later."

Clovis sighed. His breath smelled like warm milk.

"Well, all right. What do you want ?"

Annabeth explained Jason's problem to him. From time to time, she snapped her fingers under the boy's nose to keep him from dozing off.

Clovis must have been really captivated by the story because, when Annabeth fell silent, he did not collapse. He even went so far as to stand up and stretch, then he looked at Jason, fluttering his eyelids.

"So, just like that, you don't remember anything ?"

"I only have a few impressions left," Jason said. "For instance..."