Prologue

"The President and Vice president have doubled the presidential food allocation bill amidst famine and food crisis in the country. This is coming after the President locked the Nigerian borders and blocked access to foreign exchange for food importers so as to encourage domestic production, but this is causing a ridiculous spike in food prices,"

A vein ticked in my temple as I ground my teeth and listened to the reporter.

"Unfortunately, Domestic production isn't meeting up with the demands. Most especially in the southern parts, causing the south to depend wholly on the North.
The Southern parts of Nigeria are facing these problems due to northern terrorists or 'bandits'  who are terrorizing farmers in the farm, killing them and altogether stopping them from being productive. These bandits also let their cows roam free and eat all the remaining agricultural produce in the farm. The government has prohibited southerners from attacking the northerners, causing further unrest as the country wants to break free from each other, The Southwest wanting to form the Oduduwa country, The Southeast-Biafra, and the North- Arewa."

"This seems like a ploy to make the south depend on the north for food and-"

Click.

I switched the channel.

"-wife to stupor. He poured acid on her body after flogging her mercilessly. When asked why he did that, Mr Abdul claimed she-"

Click.

"-store. The police inspector who's on the run now, shot the 17 year old after a 'Karen' reported to 911 that she saw a 'black' man, also using the 'n' word, with a gun and it seemed like he was going to rob the store. The 'Karen' ironically named Karen Presley  has been apprehended, after the body of the teen was searched, and what must have appeared to her as a gun was a harmless Xbox controller-"

Click.

"-sixty thousand and counting dead, twenty thousand displaced or injured as the Islamic terrorist group attack the middle East, decimating-"

Click.

I stared at the blank television screen numbly.

"Nothing good to see anymore. The world's gone wrong, so wrong. Oh Lord please come and take us." Her gravelly voice shook out from behind me.

I turned to see my grandmother, glassy eyed as her hands shook uncontrollably on the arm of her wheel chair. I smiled at her sadly and stood up from the couch. I walked over to her and kissed her wrinkled cheek, she smiled up at me.

I love this woman.

"Oh maami, Jesus will come and make everything fine again. That's what you've always told me the bible says, that He will come soon and save us from all this rubbish. We'll finally fly with the angels." I said, with a grin.

"Well he's taking too long" She rasped out with a pout on her lips. I laugh.

"I agree." My iPhone pinged in my back pocket. I pulled it out and glanced at the string of messages.

"Maami, I've got to go to airport now, alright?"

"Bunmi ti de? (Bunmi has come?)"

"Yes, maami. I have to pick her up from the airport. Shhh, don't tell daddy or mummy o or even Bode. It's a surprise."

She lifted a trembling finger to her smiling lips and winked, before rolling away on her wheelchair.

Another ping.

"I'm coming. I'm coming." I muttered, rolling my eyes as Bunmi's pestering messages popped up. I picked up my car keys from the kitchen counter before dashing out of the house.