One Last Time

Dani-luv-bts

Taehyung was late. He cursed his luck for getting caught by his overly chatty boss just as he was about to leave the office. He still could have made it if he didn't get stuck in traffic due to the Halloween parade.

It was the most important day of the year for him, and he hated being late. He was half walking half running as he reached the top of the cliff he was trying to get to and the person whom he had waited a whole year to see, was already there.

"Kookie!!" Taehyung could barely keep the excitement out of his voice.

"Tae." The voice sounded like it's coming from a far away place. "You're here."

Without breaking his stride, Taehyung quickly went to the other and pulled him in to a tight hug. "I'm so sorry for being late, baby. Did you wait long?"

"No, just a few minutes only." Jungkook answered as he gave a soft smile to the elder.

"I swear I came from the office on time. It was this Halloween parade that made me be late."

"Tae, It's okay."

Jungkook took the blanket that Taehyung had in his hand and laid it on the ground. He then sat on it and extended his hand for the other. "Come."

Taehyung sighed and laid down on the blanket and pulled the younger on to his chest. Taehyung played with Jungkook's hair and the letter made patterns on Taehyung's chest with his finger. It was a little ticklish but Taehyung will be damned if he told Jungkook to stop.

"So..." After few minutes, Jungkook spoke up in a soft voice. "How was this year?"

And Taehyung recollected everything that happened to him in a years time. How his new boss is being a nuisance at work; how his mom yet again brought up few blind date proposals for him, even though Taehyung had repeatedly told her not to.

They talked and talked for hours, but there were comfortable silences too. Taehyung occasionally kissed Jungkook's forehead, and the younger raised his head to give proper kisses to Taehyung, which led to short makeout sessions too.

Finally, there was one long silence. They had spoken what needed to be said and now it's time to just silently enjoy each other's company.

"The sun will rise soon." Jungkook's soft words made a panic build up in Taehyung's heart.

"What?! No that can't be! We still-" The elder stopped talking as he looked at his phone.

Taehyung wrapped his arms around Jungkook even tighter. He didn't want to get separated from the man he love; His whole world. Taehyung felt a lump in his throat when Jungkook buried his head in the elders neck with the same intensity.

"Tae.."

"Hmm.."

"Maybe you shouldn't come next year."

Taehyung's eyes widened comically at those words. "Y-you don't w-want me to come?"

"No! I just don't like that you paused your life this way for me."

"Baby, what are you talking about? You're my life."

Jungkook raised his body in to a sitting position and stared off in to the distance. "But I can't be in your life anymore, Tae."

Taehyung quickly sat up too and back hugged Jungkook. "This is enough for me, Kookie. Don't worry about it."

"Few hours a year is enough for you?"

"If those hours are with you, then yes, it's more than enough for me."

Again there was was few minutes of silence before Jungkook spoke up again.

"When you got late today..." Jungkook gave a sad smile to the elder before continuing. "At first, I thought you were not coming."

"No, baby, I would never-"

"-And I was sad, but at the same time, happy."

"H-happy?"

"And sad. Don't forget that part." Jungkook said in an attempt to lighten up the mood a bit.

"Kookie..."

"Sad, because I won't be able to see you again. But happy, cause that means you would have moved on."

Taehyung didn't reply to any of that. He just stared in to Jungkook's eyes. The prettiest in the whole world.

"I love you, Tae. I will always love you. But it's time you let go of the past. A-and.. maybe I will too."

"You can let go?"

"I didn't think I could. But when I came here and you weren't there, for moment, I felt like it's possible."

"I can't live without you, Kookie." Taehyung's voice sounded so broken that Jungkook immediately placed both his palms on the elder's cheeks.

"You can, Tae. I know you can. You're the bravest man I ever knew."

"Baby, please..."

"It's time we accept it, Tae. I'm.. I'm already dead. I can cross over to the living realm only for few hours on Halloween day. It's not fair for you to be holding on to me like this. Let me go, Tae. And live your life happily. What do you say? Hmm?"

Taehyung didn't answer and just pulled Jungkook back in to his embrace and on to the blanket. A faint orange-ish glow was starting to appear from a corner of the night sky. They were running out of time. Again.

"Next year." Taehyung whispered with a voice that held so much love and pain. "Let's do it next year. I didn't get to say good bye properly today. Okay?"

Jungkook let out a muffled sob. "Okay."

Taehyung gave a soft kiss to the younger's forehead and tightened his hold even more. But just as the night sky started to get brightened with the morning sun, Taehyung could feel the man in his arms, starting to dissappear.

"Good bye, Love. Until I see you again. I love you."

"I love you too, Tae."

That was the last thing Taehyung heard, before the love of his life, completely vanished from his sight.

He has a whole year to spend in loneliness, until he can see the love of his life again. And it might just be for the last time too.