Chapter Four: Blood

Lukas had been locking himself up for the past four weeks, and had his mouth shut when people tried to talk to him. Mathias had been sleeping on the couch too, pretty much unable to get into his own room. Everyone was a bit scared for Lukas, and felt bad for Mathias, but it didn't help that Emil was also pretty much a ghost. He would disappear all day and when he did show up again he would skip dinner and go up to his room, sitting in the window and drawing in the snow on the roof with this distressed look on his face. Everyone was stressed, but they tried their best to keep their hopes up. There was Peter, of course he didn't understand why everyone was acting this way, So the others did their best to keep up smiles around Peter, playing with him, asking him about school, etc. Of course Peter was still concerned but he didn't talk about it. He just went to school, came home, and then had fun at home. Berwald hated getting up so early, but he would do it so his son could love normally. He had to wake up at five am, get Peter ready, and then drive all the way down to get him to school in town. Then he would go to work in town, pick up Peter after school, and they would go home. Every so often women picking up their kids would try to talk to Berwald but he would ignore them and just get his son in their truck, and drive away.

Berwald had just gotten off of work, and parked in parent pick up, waiting outside his truck. The usual pta moms were there talking, and Berwald was just ready to go home and make sure everything was ok. And when the kids came outside, Berwald was surprised to see a woman walking out holding Peter's hand. He straightened up and cleared his throat when she approached, picking up his son. "Can I help you?" He asked.

"Yes, hi! I'm from child protective services! My name is Alina! You must be Peter's father, yes?" Berwald nodded, confused. "Good! Uhm, we got a call from Peter's teacher today, and she said he had some scratches all over his back and after checking, I saw that he does. He says his uncle inflicted them and I'm very concerned."

Berwald nodded. "Yes. He's rough but it's an accident. Never means too. He is trying to get better."

"That's good, but! I am still a little concerned about his health! Would you mind me coming to your home tonight? Just to check out the place and make sure it's suitable? We want to make sure he's in the safest environment possible!"

Berwald sighed. "Ok. Let me call my housemates."

Berwald got Peter into his seat and buckled before getting into the front, dialing the home phone as quickly as he could. He had to wait a few seconds but finally someone picked up.

"Who is it..?" Berwald was surprised to hear Lukas, who had obviously been sick again, but he decided it was best to get to the point.

"Make sure the house is clean. Child protective services are coming over tonight."

"What..? Berwald I can hardly get myself out of bed, you're lucky I could answer the phone.. can't you do another night when I'm not dying..?"

"No. I'll let her know you aren't feeling well but I won't delay it. Sorry."

"Fine.. I'll go find Mathias.."

With that, Lukas hung up and Berwald rolled down his window, informing the lady that it was a long drive and she would need to follow him up there as their house wasn't on any gps. She agreed and then the drive started. Peter told Berwald all about his day at school on the drive but eventually fell asleep as he always did. Berwald was a bit nervous, even if he didn't show it, and he really was hoping Lukas and Mathias could clean up in time.

When he got there, it was mostly dark, which meant the curtains were open and the lights inside were on. Berwald woke Peter up to bring him inside and Alina followed inside. The house looked clean enough and Peter ran into the living room, where Mathias and Tino were in the living room chatting, looking normal instead of their usual fighting stance. Berwald watched and Mathias stood up.