Sports

ADDY'S POV:

I'm at school and we're lined up outside for PE. Today we're playing soccer. Lucky for me, Max and Cody are on the opposite team as me. Well, sort of lucky. If my team wins, they'll be mean at recess. But, eh, I don't mind that much. They're bullies and I can stand up to them. All of the other girls are on the sidelines cheering for the team of their choice or talking. Right now, the score is 3-1 my team. I scored one of those points. I'm passing the ball back and forth with a few boys on my team. We're nearing the goal and I shoot and score. My team cheers and high-fives me. I guess soccer and dodgeball draw different types of sportsmanship. I could do this all day.

The final score is 7-5 my team! After the game, I talk to Coach Kyle on the way back to the classroom and I say "Coach Kyle, my mom said yes! I can do either one or both depending on the practice schedules!" He high-fives me and says "Awesome! Practice for Track and Field is every Monday, and Wednesday, after school. Practice starts at 3:45 and ends at 6:15. We meet on the field. Then all of you run the track. Soccer practice is every Tuesday and Thursday after school from 3:45 to 6:15 on the field," says Coach Kyle. "Sweet! I'll be able to do both! Count me in!" I say. "Great! I'll see you on the field after school for Track and Field!" says Coach Kyle. He talks to me about some things we do at both practices and I get really excited. He says the girls on both teams are really nice. He also says there's only one other girl my age front he other fourth grade class and she's on both teams and the older girls won't mind us. That helps my nerves a lot.

During recess, Max and Cody come bother me again because they're upset about losing during soccer. "Oh, lighten up. That just means you two might have to work a little harder or find a way to be on my team, aka the winning team," I say after Cody complains. They both roll their eyes. Then they stop off to go do who knows what. I run laps around the field gearing up for practice tonight.

The rest of the day flashes by and I run out of the gates and I don't climb in Lizzie's car. Instead, I have her roll down the window and I tell her about me being on both teams and what their practice schedules are and how I'll be staying until 6:15 tonight. Lizzie's excited for me and she says we'll have pizza for dinner and that Scarlett will be in the car when she comes to pick me up. I jump up and down and then I run back into the school and to the field.

I see a group of girls talking to each other and Coach Kyle is standing behind them. He sees me and he waves and I run toward him and the girls. "Hi Addy! Welcome to the team!" says Coach Kyle. I smile and the girls introduce themselves. "Hi, I'm Amy," says a girl with blonde hair. "Hi, I'm Bella," says another girl with blonde hair. "Hi, I'm Abbie," says a girl with brown hair. She looks like she's my age. "Hi, I'm Brittany," says a girl with red hair. "Hi, I'm Carly," says another girl with red hair. Cool! There's only six of us! Brittany and Carly look like sixth graders and Amy and Bella look like seventh graders. This school goes to eighth grade. "What grade are you all in? I'm in fourth," I say. "I'm in fourth too! You must be in Mrs. Nelson's class. I'm in Mrs. Porter's class," says Abbie. I smile and nod. "We're in sixth grade," says Brittany as she gestures to Carly and herself. I nod. "We're in seventh grade," says Amy as she gestures to Bella and herself. I nod again and Coach Kyle says "Alright, if introductions are over, we're going to independently stretch for a few minutes and then let's run the track." We all nod and start to stretch. The few minutes end quickly and we all line up on the track. We're doing 10 laps to start. Then Coach Kyle is going to have us work on hurdles and we'll do some conditioning before he tells us what races each of us will do at our meet on Saturday.

I stand next to Abbie and Coach Kyle blows his whistle and we sprint as fast as we can. I'm a little ahead of Brittany and Abbie. If this is a race, I'd be in second place to Carly. I pick up my pace and I pass Carly but barely.

We're in lap three and I'm starting to slow down. I have a tactic that I want to tryout. My tactic is where I speed for the first few laps and then I slow down until the last two laps. Then I hightail it. I jog a few laps and Coach Kyle is looking at me a little confused. I nod to him and then we enter lap eight and I hightail my way from last to second. In the last few seconds of lap ten I give it my all and I beat Carly but barely. Coach Kyle blows his whistle and we all lay down on the track staring up at the sky while we catch our breath. "Wow! Great job girls! Addy, that was some tactic! I hope you do that at our meet this Saturday. We'll be in good shape for sure if you do," says Coach Kyle. I nod and smile. Then the other girls applaud me and tell me that I was amazing and I happily return their compliments. This is awesome! I actually have people who like me at this school besides Coach Kyle. The rest of practice is long and filled with hard work. He assigns each of us our races for Saturday and he gives me my uniform. The other girls applaud me. Then they offer for me to sit with them tomorrow. I happily accept and Abbie and I talk the whole time that it takes for us to walk to our parents cars.

I tell Lizzie and Scarlett all about practice and how nice the girls were and I also mention my meet on Saturday and Scarlett instantly clears her schedule so she can go. She says that Colin can watch Rose. I feel bad that she doesn't spend a lot of time with Rose but sometimes when I ask Scarlett if Rose is okay with her spending time with me she says that Rose is perfectly okay with it and that she understands. I met Rose last weekend and she's so nice and adorable. We're good friends. I go to bed tonight smiling while I think about my whirlwind of a day.