5

I grumbled when my phone started to ring at three in the morning.

"Hello? Do you have any idea what time it is?" I growled. 

"That's no way to talk to your mother," My mom laughed.

I sighed and sat up. "What is it?" I asked tiredly.

"I just wanted to go over some other possible spouses if this engagement goes south," She stated.

"Just mail me the portfolios. I'm going back to bed, goodnight mother," I yawned.

"Sweet dreams," She said softly before I hung up. 

I tossed my phone to the foot of my bed and face-planted into my pillows. I let out a frustrated groan and sat up, now more awake. I put my slippers on and left my room. I jumped when the house lit up and shook with thunder. I hadn't even realized it was storming. 

I walked up to Tamaki's room and pushed the door open quietly. I peeked my head in to see if they were all sleeping. Haruhi was fast asleep on the couch while the twins were sprawled over each other and hanging off of Mori on the air mattresses. Honey slept curled up at the foot of the bed where Tamaki was sleeping. I scoffed and shut the door and went to the kitchen.

I got some of the leftover soup and heated it up on the stove.

"Did the storm wake you?" I heard Kyoya's smooth voice ask from behind me, making me jump.

"No," I said with a short laugh, "my mother did. How about you?" I asked.

"Tamaki is quite the bed hog," He huffed. I chuckled.

"Would you like some soup?" I asked. He nodded. 

I prepared him a bowl and handed it to him and then got myself one. I took the seat next to him at the small kitchen table. We ate silently and listened to the roaring of the thunder.

"So, what was your mother calling about, if you don't mind me asking?" Kyoya asked curiously.

"I think she's picking up the vibe that it's not going to end well. She wants to send me portfolios of other possible partners, even though she's quite aware of the fact that I am not interested," I scoffed, getting up and taking his empty bowl to the sink to wash it.

"My sister is dropping not-so-subtle hints that my father is going to start looking for possible partners for me as well," He sighed, not too amused by it.

"I want this to work. But, I know he doesn't feel the same. I'm so worried. My mother is going to kill me if this doesn't work out," I said softly, trying not to cry. "I mean, how could you not love Haruhi? She's so sweet, kind, funny, incredibly intelligent, and not to mention adorable," I said with a soft laugh, sniffling slightly, scrubbing the dishes harshly.

Kyoya reached around me and shut off the water, taking the clean dishes from my hands and putting them in the dish rack beside me. I wiped my eyes as his hand went to the small of my back.

"I just don't know how long I can keep this up," I quaked in defeat.

"It'll be okay," He whispered, pulling me close and wrapping his arms around me and holding me tightly. I hid my face in his chest as I tried to subdue my tears.

"Thank you for always being there for me, Kyoya," I said softly as I pulled away, wiping my eyes.

I jumped when his hands went to the sides of my face and his lips landed on mine softly. I remained frozen for a second before he pulled away.

"Why'd you do that?" I asked softly looking anywhere but at him.

"I've liked you since the first day I met you," He admitted quietly.

"Kyoya, I-"

"You don't have to respond now, but I just want you to know, that I'm here for you," He said sweetly, running his hand through my hair. His face was so close, our noses almost touching. His hands were soft around my face.

I was about to say something until a small voice spoke. "What are you two doing?" Honey asked sleepily, making me jump.

"I'm just having Kyoya check the cut on my forehead from the other day. I fell and hit my head and I thought it reopened. We were just checking it under the kitchen light so we didn't wake anyone," I explained quickly before Kyoya could say anything.

"It looks fine to me, just a little irritated," He murmured, taking a step back.

"Okay," Honey said sleepily. 

Kyoya walked back with Honey to Tamaki's room and I went back to mine. I took a deep breath and climbed to bed. 

This is not going to end well at all. 

After a while, there was a sudden knock at my door. I got up and opened it to see a frightened-looking Haruhi.

"Haruhi, are you alright?" I asked worriedly as I stepped aside to let her in.

"Sorry, the thunder, I was hoping I could stay in here with you?" She stammered, shaking like a leaf.

"Of course! I don't mind at all," I reassured her, pulling her into my arms. Her arms wrapped around my waist tightly as she buried her face in my shoulder. 

I brought her to my bed and tucked her in. I turned on an old movie so that it would drown out the noise of the storm slightly. I crawled back into my bed and Haruhi wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled herself closer. 

I petted her hair softly before I drifted off to sleep.