Chapter One: Flowers from a Ghost

<< 2:54pm - Sunday, August 20th >>

The incessant blabbering hung in the air. Freshly baked eclairs sifted in the air, caught onto Arianna's tongue, and made it water. 

"Arianna? Are you even listening?" A honey-sweet voice asked.

Arianna lifted her head. "Yeah, it's great that your TikTok is blowing up, Charlotte."

Charlotte drummed the table. "It's not just that!" She stopped. "So is my Instagram!"

"Your YouTube?" The girl next to Arianna asked.

"Not yet, but I'm sure it'll get there eventually. That's not even half of it..."

Arianna stirred her espresso. She studied the intricate patterns on the cup and how the design flowed into the saucer.

"... But that didn't even compete with the amount of likes that one post with me in that sundress got..."

What if that fame was hers? How would she get it? What would she do with it if she had it? Arianna let out an exhale and took another sip of her coffee.

"... Charlotte, I hate to break it to you, but people only like that post because you can see part of your butt in it..."

She'd do so much more than how Charlotte seemed to extoll it.

"... That's not my butt. It's my hand. See?..."

Imagine all those people looking up to Arianna. Constantly surrounded with people who adored her.

"... It doesn't matter what it is or what it isn't. It's about what people think it is..."

But... in that stretch of fame, haters always tore people down. People she couldn't stop no matter how hard she tried.

"... Arianna? Are you in there?" A hand in her face jolted her.

"I was just thinking about school. There's a lot to look forward to this year! After all," Arianna smirked, "it's senior year!"

"Well... I wouldn't say it's too significant." Charlotte pushed her ponytail back. "If anything, it's just like all the other years, except this one is last."

A coffee cup slammed into the table next to Arianna.

"Um, this year will be waaay different. We're seniors. We get so many things, like... like our own parking lot, and a section of the bleachers dedicated to us at football games, and new cute cheer uniforms, and prom, and--"

"Oh Riwana, while that is true..." Charlotte said, "none of that will affect me as I will continue doing what I always do, which is focusing on the drama club. Speaking of which... Arianna, are you still doing all those advanced classes this year?"

"As always," Arianna held up a thumb.

"Oh my... that must be so stressful! However will you manage? I hope it doesn't take time away from the drama club." Charlotte sighed as she rested her head on her palm.

"I... manage just fine every year..."

"Like duh, Arianna is really good at managing her time. She's number one on the charts and one of your best actresses for a reason." Riwana nudged Arianna, who giggled. "It's also the reason we have talks like these every year."

"Really?" Charlotte rose a brow. "But you see us every day."

"I do," Arianna nodded. "But I never have any classes with the two of you. Having to catch up with both of your summers and keeping up with the first few weeks worth of work isn't... well, possible." Arianna sipped her coffee. "You girls are too dramatic."