Chapter Six: The Case of the Girl Behind the Dumpster

<< 5:53pm - Thursday, August 25th >>

The motorcycle growled across the concrete as the girls reached a curve on the road. Arianna kept her hands firm on the seat. It might as well have been safer than keeping her hands on the girl who challenged her, seeming to have no interest in whatever Arianna's project was, and then agreeing to help her.

Out of nowhere.

Arianna pulled her twin-tails out of her hair for the ride to Marshyard. Her hair would be a bitch to brush through afterwards, but that didn't matter at the moment. Identification was not an option.

Her sunglasses served a different purpose. They protected her eyes from the harsh speeds they were going at. Despite the fact that she lacked a helmet, she couldn't help but feel more at ease on the motorcycle than how she usually felt on drives. Perhaps Vanessa wasn't driving as recklessly as her preconceived notions of motorcycle drivers.

But just because she was driving well doesn't mean she deserved any of Arianna's trust. She could be driving Arianna to a death trap, thugs, she could get kidnapped... Her mind froze as the breezes flew past her face. Her stomach dropped, but it couldn't anchor to the floor. What am I doing?

Arianna adjusted the bracelet on her bicep. She couldn't forget she had it. Only time could tell what they were driving towards.

The light ahead switched yellow. "Arianna... you have to hang onto me." Vanessa slowed down and stuck her leg on the road. The vehicle harshly tilted to the side as a result.

Arianna yelped in surprise at the harsh tilt as she latched onto Vanessa. "A little bit of warning before would have been nice!"

"That's exactly what I did." She muttered.

"Well, an earlier warning would have been better!"

"I can't predict when the lights turn yellow. You were lucky there was barely any traffic on the drive back to your place, but I wasn't kidding. I told you at school that you had to do this."

Arianna leaned her head onto Vanessa's back in defeat as she groaned. "How did I even let you talk me into riding this death trap?"

Vanessa jolted at the touch. "I'm not your boyfriend!"

"No shit, Sherlock!" Arianna scoffed but refused to move her head.

Vanessa shook her head and sighed. A few seconds and the light switched. She drove ahead.

"Can you drive a bit slower?"

"... and risk being ran over?"

"By what other motorcycle?"

"The cars, Arianna."

"Right, I knew that..." Arianna lied. "Just trying to see if you know what you're doing, so I don't get killed."

Vanessa sighed. "We have around five minutes before we get there. I recommend being less of a bitch. You might scare away any chance of survival."

"HEY NOW-"

Vanessa waited a few seconds. "...Are you gonna finish your sentence?"

"Well- I- You- UGH!"

Vanessa drove on until she reached another red light. She stuck her leg out, and once more, the vehicle tilted, and Arianna let out a yelp. Vanessa looked back. "... I'm still waiting for you to insult me..."

"Fuck off."

Arianna seethed as she heard the air catch in Vanessa's lungs. Laughter. She was holding in laughter. The light flipped green, and the girls continued to their destination.