28: The Pied Piper

Calla knew they were in trouble. And not just because of the note—but because of the stubborn set of Cooper's jaw.

"Cooper—" she started, wary. But she might as well have been speaking to a brick wall. Ignoring her, he sprinted across the parking lot with the sort of single-minded focus that was sure to get them both killed.

Calla groaned and followed after him, fastening her leather bag across her shoulder.

"Cooper!" She overtook him easily and grabbed the back of his shirt. "Stop and think—"

"No." He stumbled at her touch and caught himself against the bumper of his car. It shuddered at the impact, and Calla wondered if it might fall apart right then and there. "We're running out of time. Didn't you read the note? We've got maybe fifteen minutes left to find Vincent and—"

"And what?" she asked, exasperated. "Can we just think about this for—"

"NO!" His voice broke. He faced her, skin flushed with anger and exertion. "No. You don't get to do this. Not now." He jabbed her in the sternum with his index finger, chest heaving. "When do you ever stop and think? You do what you want when it pleases you, and we all have to deal with the consequences after the fact. That's why we're in this mess in the first place, isn't it? Because of—"

Calla slapped him.

He drew back and lifted a hand to his cheek, staring at her with a mixture of loathing and surprise and something else—dawning realization. She watched the manic light drain from his eyes, slowly at first, and then all at once. His shoulders slumped.

"Sorry," he mumbled, rubbing his face with a pained grimace. "Damn. That hurt."

"Good." She held out her hand, smiling somewhat when he flinched. "Your keys."

He stiffened, immediately on the defensive. "I told you—"

"Would you shut the fuck up, just this once?" She wiggled her fingers. "Keys. Now. I'm not letting you drive like this."

"Like...what?"

"A deranged fool." She rolled her eyes. "I may not have my license, but I'll get us to the highschool in one piece, at least."

His hand fell from his face. "Wait. We're going to the highschool?"

"Yes."

"You mean it?"

Another flick of her fingers. Impatience—and anticipation—brought the beast roaring to the surface. "We're on the clock. Remember?"

Cooper pulled his keys from his front pocket and dropped them in her waiting hand. "Try not to break the rearview mirror again."

Despite her bravado, when she slid into the driver's seat, her hands shook. She quickly jammed the keys into the ignition to hide the unexpected tremor—but the engine remained cold and unresponsive to her touch.

"Damn," she muttered.

Cooper dropped into the passenger seat with a huff. After several failed attempts to start the engine, he groaned. "Just turn the key—"

She twisted to face him. "If you tell me how to start a goddamn car, I'm going to strangle you and drag your lifeless body over to that dumpster." She tried the ignition again. And again. Until finally, she slammed her hands against the wheel. "Fuck this stupid, worthless car!"

"Hey!" He swatted her shoulder. "She's never going to start if you treat her like that."

Calla drew in a deep breath through her nose. "Cooper."