Mark Knopfler

'Third time's the charm', Frances though as she knocked on the door. The corridor was deserted, they'd just left their practical biology class in between the usual hours, giving her a gap of a quarter hour. Incredible ! In their tight schedule, free time usually happened after 11pm or on Sundays. Twice already, she had found the door closed. Perhaps she would be lucky today.

— "Come in", came a smooth voice from inside.

Frances inhaled sharply, divided between joy and nervousness. That man set her on edge, but she was glad she wouldn't have to chase him around the high school for the rest of the week. So she braced herself for impact, and pushed the door open; she had never faced him alone. Holding his attention always made her self-conscious. As if his gaze could penetrate the hundred layers of protection she had set around her inner self. As if he could read her like a book. It unsettled her, yet she didn't feel exposed for she trusted him.

Weird, for a man that she saw once a week and knew nothing about.

Mr Kristiansen lifted his head from his work; his mid long hair falling in disarray across his face. The tips brushed his marked cheekbone, hiding his grey eyes behind the strange mix of ash and brown strands. Unguarded, he looked... almost beautiful. His features brightened when he saw her; perhaps he had been expecting a less agreeable interruption. His expression caused Frances to pause in the doorway.

— "Can I interrupt for a minute ?"

— "Of course, come in, Frances"

So he knew her name, and while she took a few steps to the desk, she recognized the device that sat upon it. In particular, the music that the little speaker played as he rated homework. Forgetting why she had come to seek him in the first place, the young woman's eyebrows lifted. Ordinarily, she would have smiled at hearing Mark Knoplfer, but this particular song echoed inside of her like no other. It brought nostalgia, and sadness, calling a feeling of longing and absurdity just as well. And the immense weight that came with the waste of a life.

— "Frances ?"

The young woman blinked, then a blush crept up her cheeks.

— "Sorry. I adore Mark Knopfler, but this song... I never was able to hear 'Brothers in Arms' without crying, as it was me lying in that field awaiting death."

Why did she speak so plainly to a man she barely knew ? His grey eyes studied her, curiosity mingled with something warmer. Or perhaps he thought her a freak for getting so emotional over a single song. Then his haze travelled to the window, out of focus.

— "Yes, this song twist my guts as well, but I still need to hear it. Strange, how we sometimes seek suffering"

This was a loaded statement; one he didn't seem inclined to share for his next question put them back on the right track.

— "What can I help you with ?"

Frances sighed, pulling her attention back to her initial task. The displeasure of driving...

— "Ah yes. I wanted to let you know that I will be absent next week because I'm having my driving test. Apparently, it's my last chance before the theory test I passed becomes obsolete so... I don't have much of a choice"

The teacher nodded thoughtfully.

— "It's all right. I guess your accomplice will get the work for you, but I appreciate you took the time to let me know"

— "My accomplice ?"

There was a layer of amusement in his voice when he responded.

— "Alexandre"

So, their mean teacher – biology - wasn't the only one that had remarked their closeness. Yes, Alexandre was a great friend, a guy with whom she had connected instantly. It was a very healthy, very platonic relationship that kept her sane and grounded. But to think about getting his notes on anything... that was shuddering though.

— "Oh no, he's far too messy. I'll ask Bertrand, his writing is neater and he doesn't daydream in class"

Frances forced herself to shut up; her babbling had caused her to denunciate a good friend, and she certainly hoped that Mr Kristiansen wouldn't go selling Alexandre's bad habits to any of their teachers. This could have consequences. Feeling the reddening of her cheeks, Frances rushed to apologize.

— "I don't mean he's not a good student... just. God, I've been putting my foot in my mouth again, right ?"

Mr Kristiansen laughed this time, a sharp, short sound that echoed in the room and called to her. As if his mirth could unloose the knots in her upper back, and reduce the stress altogether. He stood then, facing his mortified student on an – almost - even ground.

— "Don't worry. I know you are all under a lot of pressure, and you handle it admirably. I don't care how you take your notes as long as you learn something in my class"

Frances deflated like a balloon; her biology teacher gave them hell whenever the drawings weren't neat enough for her taste. To hear that Mr Kristiansen didn't give a damn was really nice to hear. Sheepishly, she watched her buttoned boots as she expressed her gratitude.

— "Thank you. All our teachers are not as forgiving as you are"

She didn't know why he took the time to share his views, but the soothing tones of his smooth voice once more took her to another world. One where this madness was finished and the world spun straight on its axis once again.

— "The goal is different", he explained, crossing his arms over his chest. "Geography will get you a few optional points, but it won't be the core of your grades in those exams. And quite truthfully, I really enjoy teaching your class. There is a tight unity that I didn't find anywhere else, and you are all so lively."

The blush was spreading upon her cheeks again, but she needed to let him know how great his teachings were.

— "I don't pretend to speak in the name of the full class, but I can tell you that we do enjoy it just as well. It is a breath of fresh air in our schedule"

When eventually, Frances dared looking up, she found a warm smile upon his face. Not a wide one, neither exaggerated. But a genuine smile, one that spoke of satisfaction... one that illuminated his features so beautifully that her heart lurched strangely.

— "Then I'm glad. I'll cross my fingers for you next week."

Dismissal. Disappointment brushed her mind, coming out of nowhere; she didn't feel like leaving but time was scarce and he probably had plenty of things to do. So she smiled back.

— "Thank you. Have a nice week end"

— "Likewise, Frances"

His voice followed her to the deserted corridor just before the loud ringing of end of class sounded. Frances closed the door, a smile upon her lips.