Chapter 3: Pete and Nate Pannel

It rained that morning, pouring harder as it went on beginning to storm. We walked into the school as slowly as we could after Nate pushed open the doors with all eyes gravitating to us like we were the main attraction.
    I made my way to my first period while Nate shot off towards the bathroom, probably to have a smoke and skip the first period like he used to.
    The seemingly endless class known as English never failed to put me to sleep with every word the teacher had to say assuming they said much of anything seeing as how most of them didn't care.
            "Peter!". I jumped out of my sleep as my eyes widened with Mr. Holden standing in front of my desk angry for whatever reason he had this morning.
 "Stand outside and come back in when you care enough about your education to stay awake for it.". I responded with a low 'Yes sir' and leaned against the steel lockers trying not to think about this morning.

             "Hey, Pete". With the slow turn of my head, I'm greeted with a strong kiss from a black queen in my arms.
              "Good mornin' Darlin' ". Wendy Darling was a senior like me but was slightly taller as well as being only a few months older than me and thankfully was my girlfriend since the end of summer after our freshman year.

She had a small ziplock bag with her that had a banana and some off-brand yogurt with a plastic spoon. "You, okay?".
                "Yeah, just a little tired, that's all.". She could tell I was slightly lying but let it slide knowing whatever it had to do with my brother.
                  "I gotta get back to class but please take it easy.". I nod my head in compliance before I'm blessed with another embrace and head back inside and attempt to care about my education for thirty more minutes.
Two more bleak classes drag on until it's finally the first lunch. I wait in line and then take a seat near the entrance. Nate and Darlin' had the same lunch as me for as long as I can remember and this year was no exception.
Darlin' sat across from me with Nate to my left while I was on the corner. It was tradition for all of us to read together if we didn't have anything to talk about specifically but even with my brother next to me, I could talk about anything and know he wasn't listening since he always made it a point to mind his business unless it concerned himself.
Today's reads were Great Expectations for Darlin', Julius Caesar for me, and the Art of War for Nate. All great reads but interrupted by none other than Abigail Smee, The daughter of one of the cops from this morning.

                "Hey, Pete...hi Wendy.". She acknowledges her presence briefly and exchanges pleasantries before putting her nose back in her book. "Can I talk to you and your brother about something? And could you give him a message for me?".
                  "Sure, but why not tell him yourself, and what about?". I turned over my book and glanced over at him, who wasn't aware of or not caring that she was there. 
Her focus stays fixed on me as if she was too terrified to look in his direction. "I would but...ya know.".
I sigh to myself and look over at Nate who taps the side of his face under his ear signifying that he was listening. "Alright, fine, out with it please".
                  "I want him to know that I wasn't the one who snitched and...please don't hurt me, Pete". The pale 5'2 sophomore stood there quaking in fear as Darlin' sighed and shook her head while I was confused by her request.
                   "Um...That's good to know Abigail but why would I hurt you?".
"I don't know, I've heard rumors and I just don't want anything to happen to me or my family...". She clutched her books in her arms as if it were the only thing holding her up like a floaty.
                  "Whatever you hear, I promise you I don't do any of that stuff so please breathe". This sort of thing happens more often than not with people treating me like I'm the Godfather or something because the sheep are scared of Nate but treat me as the lesser evil even though I'm nice to everyone.
She took my reassurance and disappeared into the crowd in line. "She's not the snitch but the broad knows who it is.".
                   "Nate, there's nothing saying that she does and it'd be reckless to try to squeeze her for tips because she'd tell you anything if you asked and her dad is a cop, you know that". I plead with him as he closes his book and returns his reading glasses to their hard case.
                    "There's nothing saying that she doesn't know anything besides her words which doesn't really mean much, all things considered...".
                    "Just don't do anything stupid please.". He takes it in for a second and nods. "Nate, I don't care what you do and we all know you're gonna do what you feel is necessary but Leave Pete out of it, that's all I ask.".
"He was never a part of it in the first place, Wen, don't worry.". He said with a devilish smile as he got up packing his book and lying, all in one breath.