Chapter One

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. - Charles Swindoll

Sora POV

My elbow rested on the windowsill. They could never take away the outside world completely, even if I only have a fading grasp on its elusive reality. I was left in a desolate world, or so it felt. My entire existence is merely within walls, never having made it out. I was spoiled here, everything I could ever want was a snap away, ready to be served on a golden platter. Almost any distant request could easily manifest as a reality, all except two things. A companion, and my freedom. It wasn't as if I had anything to feel nostalgic for, after all, how can one miss what one has never seen, felt? I lifted my fingertips to the chilled glass. But I had seen. I'd seen for so long. Fresh air was inches from me, yet I couldn't be farther away.

Efa was the closest thing to a friend I had ever gotten. I wasn't allowed to ask her about her background, but whenever she came she brought stories of her homeland, the world beyond these walls. She had tan long legs, and usually wore some type of shorts, partially covered by a large top, composed by what looked like leaves. Her brown hair was waved, occasionally held in a side braid. She taught me to do that with my hair too, yet it never came out the right way.

I knew of no one like me. I can't help but wonder if hundreds of miles away, another girl is locked away, hidden from society as I am. Or maybe there's a guy. Efa has told me about those.

With so much free time, ideas come to me faster. My imagination runs wilder than anyone I've met, much like a caged animal, destined to be released. My room was a prison cell in a secluded jail, or a tower room in a hidden castle.  It really depends how you take the lack of freedom. I had all the basic necessities. A bed, bath, toilet, a window for light. My fun was consisting of either reading or writing, but to me my life was almost mundane, yet I knew it wasn't.

A rap at the door broke my daze. I lift my head, eyeing it as I get up from the floor. I used to constantly plan escape, now would be perfect, yet I'm not prepared to leave. I sigh, even without an escape plan, answering the door is a must.  My hand grazed the handle, swinging the great oak slab ajar. I could open my door, but another one was behind it, one which I could not so easily open. A small woman stood in the door frame, looking at me in awe.

"Some people want to see you downstairs." Her eyes wandered down my figure. "You might care to change." She turned herself around and walked out, leaving both doors wide open, a gesture of trust, a gesture I so wished I could betray. I closed my door, retreating back into the dark comfort of my only home, inside four stone walls. In the back corner, I had a walk in closet, one I never cared enough to enter. The clothes I altered between were all splayed about the floor.  My arms lifted the giant flannel top over my head, exposing my pale stomach. All my clothes were too big for me, they told me I grew smaller than they had at first expected, and it was much too late to get new things.

Should I choose formal or casual? My eyes raked the rows upon rows of clothing. I had crystal grey eyes and light blonde hair. Something white may work. I settled on a strapless white top and light blue denim shorts, showing the milky look of my skin. After quickly changing, I walked back towards the door. Would I run? For now, I should follow the orders given, and see if another chance presents itself. I opened the door.

Efa POV

I clenched and un-clenched my jaw. What we were about to do was risky.

The council had told her never to use any type of power, but in all truth, she couldn't have if she tried. At least, not without her crest. Umiko's and my own crest were tattooed on us, an effect of the combination magic. At this point we could easily out-power her, cease her dangerous existence.

A wave of guilt struck me. The girl has already lived a terrible life, no need to weight her burden. I straightened out my back, fixing my already poor posture. We sat at a round table, seated right from me was the Elf Representative, the Head Council member, the Pisceon Representative, Umiko, and lastly an empty chair, awaiting Sora's presence. Umiko had on a calm face as always, but I felt her tension underneath.

When we received word of what the council wanted to do, I came as quick as possible, astonished by the council's actions. Umiko came in rage. If Sora received her crest she may be unable to control her powers, and her actions have a direct effect upon Umiko. 

On the table near Ulrich, the Head Council member, laid her crest. Only 2 others exist, and are currently under combination magic. Sora's symbol was a cross, likely for the heavens. It was held on a gold-link chain, to be worn as a necklace. My crest was a bracelet, Umiko's, an anklet. Her symbol was of a fish, mine, a leaf. I squirmed uncomfortably in my chair. What if something bad were to happen? Every possible 'what if' went through my mind. Deep breaths. I inhaled slowly and exhaled. Umiko and I had more power than the council, we could say no. But neither of us even dared. A sound came from the archway, a tapping, much like footsteps. Someone was approaching. Everyone's eyes met the empty air, waiting watching.

Sora stepped into view.

A/N: So this is my first fantasy, I hope you like it and keep reading. I know everything is really confusing, but I honestly had no idea how to approach this. I'm still formulating the entire story's plot. 

Don't forget to comment what you think, vote, and follow me :D

-Rae