Chapter Two

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any. -Alice Walker

*************************************************************************************

A/N - There is some French in this chapter, mais (but) fear not :D Next to every French phrase there's a tiny lil' o star. If you scroll down yonder, it'll tell you what I said. Or what I tried to say if I'm slightly off. Apologies to French speakers ; - ;

**************************************************************************************

Sora POV

As I enter the arch way, 5 pairs of eyes fell on me. I swallowed, leaving my mouth uncomfortably dry. Efa and Umiko were present, giving me some confidence boost, at least enough to walk to the empty chair at the table and sit.

For a couple moments everyone was silent. It wasn't one of those satisfied silences you read about it, it was awkward, beyond awkward. Finally an old man opposite from me cleared his throat. He was old. Really Old. But that beard thing was really working for him.

"Mademoiselle Sora, we have contacted you for one sole purpose, nous voulons vous donner quelque chose de toi, une vieille chose."* A strong French accent was clear in his voice, though his English spoken was quite well. My reading passion had allowed me to study certain languages, to my luck French was one. He had something to give me in basic terms, and I mentally prepared the proper response. I needed a severe brush up on the books after this.

"Qu'est que c'est? Que faut il-faire?"** Questions swirled my head, but I wasn't sure how to express my thoughts fluently. I don't think I even said what I meant properly. The old man folded his arms silently, nodding his head towards a tight-lipped Umiko. That was never a good sign, a great calm before the largest storms. Her eerily crystal blue eyes stared coldly at anything willing to challenge her glare. Not me, not today. I played with my hands underneath the surface of cold wood. An audible sigh emitted from her direction.

"It's a crest. Crests give you a unlimited access to your power, which can either be very dangerous," She eyed me here, the continued. "Or helpful, if properly used." The 'if' was highly exaggerated. After her share she went back to the tight-lip look. Efa took this moment to speak up, adding her own share.

"Your crest is a part of your identity, if lost or put in the wrong hands, things could take a tragic turn." Her smile was small and didn't reach her eyes. She pushed a golden chain with a small cross towards me. "He's called Aliqua Caelum Salvatoris." He? Her Latin was almost perfect. I was trying to grasp the situation while learning more, it wasn't the best combination.

I reached my left hand towards the chain, pulling it to me using my pointer finger. Up close I saw just how pretty the cross was. A thin line of silver went around the border, followed by solid gold, with diamond jewel accents. It was prettier than anything I had ever owned, or dreamed of owning. I lifted the chain over my neck. Immediately I began to feel tingling sensations all over my body. Was this power? The old man spoke, waving me off.

"Dismissed." He then looked away, showing no more apparent interest in me. But that would not faze the newly independent Sora. I was accustomed to the feeling of not existing. I pushed back my chair, ready to return to the comforts of my own room.

**************************************************************************************

I leisurely strolled along the endless corridors. The artwork was stunning, I wonder why none was placed in my room. I should make a request. It was about noon. I had no watch or clock around me, but I had a strong sensory skill. After milling for around an hour, I eventually returned to the jail cell.

Powers. My fingers held the small pendant. 'What powers do you hold little one?' I frowned at it. How could such a small thing be a part of me? What would happen if I lost it? Or worse, it was stolen? I dropped my hands from the chain, staring out the window. A white mist blocked any possible existing view, but even a mist, became a view for a lonely girl. A muffled sigh escaped my parted lips. I lifted my hand to my chain once again, feeling its presence.

My hands caught air. Stunned, I dropped my eyes to the now pendant-less chain. Profanities in many languages flew from my mouth as I dropped to the floor in search.

"How'd I lose the little thing?"

I scolded myself for my foolishness. They had warned me.

"I prefer terms other than tiny, that's the second time." A man's voice grunted from behind me. "Stand up already, we need to speak." The man sounded bold, most definitely strong. It would be in my best interest to listen to what he asks. Slowly, I rose to my feet, still facing the opposite direction. "Turn around." Impatience laced his tone. You know what, I would have listened, but now, no way.

"And if I don't?" My tone was taunting, much more bitter than I'd ever been. I wasn't scared of this man though, for the first time, I have no fear.

"I'll kill you." The blood ran from my face. Kill? Forget fear, I'm terrified. I tried to respond bravely but nothing witty came to mind. I turned. "That took ages." The voice came from a very tall, well-built guy, with light, gray crystal eyes and white hair. But it wasn't like he was all that old. From the looks of it, I would guess he was in his 20's, but white hair? ". . . to me. Hello? Were you even listening?" Oh crap, I tuned out. "Of course you weren't." A sigh escaped his lips. "I'm your crest. Hello, nice to meet you." His frown said otherwise. "Basically you can use your power and all your pixie flying with me. Good day." A blast of light shot from his body, making my eyes close. When opened, the man was gone and my cross was back.

It isn't pixie flying.

**************************************************************************************

My only bag was over my shoulder, carrying some clothes and leftovers from my meals. The moon came out from behind a cloud, casting light onto my necklace. We hadn't spoken again since then, will he let me use my power? My body stalked towards the haunting crystal window. How do I use my powers even? I poked the window, no reaction.

I punched the window, no reaction.

I kicked the window, no reaction.

I threw myself at the window, no reaction.

In fatigue I leaned with one hand on the window. Maybe it's a spell?

"EXPELLIARMUS!" No reaction. I guess magic had no respect for J.K Rowling. Would this window just break already! I slammed both my hands to be flat on the glass, and it broke. Finally. I stood at the edge of the floor, looking down, and down, and down. Because for the first time in my 18 years of captivity, did I realize.

The castle was in the air.  I could give up now. But they would know I tried, and close off this area. This is my one and only chance.

It was time to escape the dread. 

It was time to jump.

I stepped out the window.

**************************************************************************************

* = We would like to give you something of yours, an old thing.

** = What is it? What does it do?

**************************************************************************************

A/N - ALLO MY PRETTIES :D There's only like 7 of you as I write this, but, good enough ; - ; 

On a better note, I'm really trying to make my chapters longer. The main thing for me is my character development. I have these little personalities for everyone, yet, I fail at keeping them up. Sigh. Eventually, I'll go back and edit things to become the characters personal style. 'Twas all for now,

Au revoir mes amours! (I feel like I said that wrong ; - ;)

-Rae