My soul will shiver

Just like the people of land, the people of air liked to live in charming houses and mansions. Disobeying all the laws of nature, they made their abodes stand in thin air. Like the land people, they made their own world- all afloat in air.

Far up in the altitude, an abode— an afloat tent stood amidst the clouds. And inside the tent: Royal Advisor Serendipity had lied down in her grand bed, unbothered and indifferent to the havoc that had been wreaked around her.

Serendipity, or Serene as she liked to call herself amongst her friends and family, or Ser, as she ordered her soldiers and people below her to address her as (piqued by the similarity that sounded in the name 'Ser' and 'Sir') sat in her oversized bed, lying down with her arms to support her drowsing head.

Serene, much contrary to her name, was chaotic. Her methodical and calculative ways were the most frowned on, yet were the most feared amongst all of the land and air. It was due her, that the people of air had grown powerful after centuries of oppression.

Serene lied down in the middle of her tent. Actually, she floated, as all people of air do. With a bunch of grapes in her hands and an expression of boredom, Serendipity pretended to hear the daily reports of her assistants.

"My soul would shiver"

Serendipity interrupted the monotonous report as she sang melodically in a voice that could creep up a fear inside your bones without you knowing.

"Yes, yes. My soul would shiver. For there will come a day where the barriers between the lands and the air will disappear"

The assistants, of course like every other being on earth understood nothing of what Serene was saying. The things you would not understand of Serene, you would simply label it as her 'eccentricity'. Perhaps Serendipity was truly being eccentric, or perhaps she knew something everyone had not.

After days of floating in the same position, Serene stood up. Still, with her feet afloat she flew away from the tent with her floating robes that made it seem like she had her own wings. Where was Serene going? Nobody knew.

****

Serene knew where she was going. And Serene knew what she was doing. She was emerging her foot in the spaces of the people of land. The people of air were forbidden in the land. The king had announced that the people of air must never touch their 'black magic woven dirty feet' in their 'soil of purity'.

Serene scoffed internally at the King's demand. 'Oh, how they must always add their scathing fury in every sentence they speak for us'.

Serene could care less about some petty demand- especially such demands that came from arrogant, egotistical men who assumed themselves to be the god no one wanted to pray to. She was in a search.

"Found you" Serene smirked at the sight of a baby crib from inside a hut.

A wooden crib- embedded with jewels and gems- ones found in the lands. This was no ordinary baby. This baby was the key and the door.

Serene debated whether she would let her feet touch the ground. But her morals took the best of her. She had promised not to touch the soils and so she did not— atleast not in front of the King's presence.

But the baby was another story. This baby had to seen, had to be heard and had to be felt.

"My soul would simply shiver" Serendipity sang yet again in her high pitched angelic voice.

The normally chided baby stopped it's crying as it widened its unbelievably large eyes as Serene picked it off the crib.

"They thought they'd hide you from me" She chuckled  sniggeringly, "they're afraid, aren't they?", Serene asked the baby seriously, as though it would answer her instantaneously, but like all babies do, it just smiled and giggled.

The hut door opened and permitted the winds to enter. It was a shepherd boy. The boy, not much older than a recently turned teenager gulped when he saw Serene.

"Help! The witch is here" he shouted, at which Serene chuckled.

"Your king cowers from me that much, eh?" Serene spoke in her always raspy tone, " Are you sure a child like you is befitting to protect a newborn?".

Serene was only making the small talk with the kid. In fact, she intended to confront the king. She intended to let him know her intentions. She had no fear, but she intended to put fear on the King.

"It's been nine years since I took birth on these soils ma'am. The soil makes me strong- like the grand old Oak tree" He answered, this time with a little more hint of confidence.

Serene was faintly impressed at the child's bravery. It was for such interactions she missed coming to the lands. She knew she'd always find something, or someone interesting.

"Stay back from the baby!" an out of breath voice entered the hut. It was the king, disguised as a shepherd, but even a fool could tell him apart from actual shepherds. He, who hadn't spend a single hour burning in the suns could look nowhere as resilient as the shepherds whose lives were guided by sunrise and sunsets.

Serene gazed at the King. The King had quite the reputation, and he had a long history with Serene. She smirked at the pathetic attempts of his to 'save' his child. She chose to invalidate the accusation of the king by ignoring him.

"Child, if grand old oak tree is what you are, then remember, I am air. Like air, I can turn into winds that can breaks down your trees. Like air, I am everywhere" she occasionally glanced at the king. It was her way of retaliation and having the last word.

"I have no intentions to harm the baby, nor will I ever think of doing as such. So, I would suggest you be done with your ridiculousness of wearing disguises. It may offend the shepherds".

"You abomination of nature! You floater! Dare you think that being snarky makes you right. You threatened to snatch out baby away that day!" The king, infuriated at Serene snatched his baby away from her hands and placed it in his wobbling shoulders.

"I am air" Serene replied with a chuckle as she left the room, glancing at the newborn one last time, "Air does not snatch. It simply sways things to itself"

"But, my soul would shiver one day. The soul of air would shiver ". She sang as she floated with the air far above in her signature grand gesture.

***