the hogwarts express and the sorting ceremony

You couldn't move more than a meter inside King's Cross Station on the morning of September 1st. It was a Friday, so there were people trying to get to work in the early hours, along with an almost suspicious amount of families heading for Platform 9. Or Platform 10. They all seemed to blend together, and most people were in too much of a hurry to care.

The Black family was no exception to the rushed families, with now both of their sons with trunks full of clothes and school supplies wheeling behind them. Sirius looked around anxiously for three friends he had made in the previous year, though his father's grip on his shoulder prevented him from moving too far off from them.

Regulus was rather nervous, twisting a silver ring emblazoned with his family's crest around his finger as he looked around for any other first year students he could possibly make friends with.

"Try to find some of the other pureblood families, Regulus," his mother hissed into his ear, holding onto his thin upper arm as she directed him through the brick wall and onto Platform 9 ¾. "The last thing we need is another embarrassing year for us. Understand?" she asked, giving him a gentle yank so he would look back to her.

Regulus nodded quickly in response to his mother's orders, giving her a meek smile. "Of course, mother," he replied, his voice frail and unsure. While he wanted to make his family proud and be a Slytherin as his parents and cousins were, he also wanted to be with his brother. If there was anyone that could make him feel welcome at a new school miles and miles away from his home, it was Sirius.

Though, he knew deep in his chest that it was too much to ask for.

"Aunt Walburga! Regulus!" a chipper, familiar voice called out from ahead of them, causing the youngest Black to turn his head. He smiled brightly as he caught sight of a tall blonde girl headed towards them. She set down her trunk next to her once she reached the small family, kneeling down and wrapping her arms around the young boy. He threw his arms around his cousin's neck, letting out a quiet breath he didn't know he was holding him.

"Cissy! I thought you were going to miss the train," Walburga commented, her pale arms folding across her chest. "Your mother told me you were spending the summer with the Malfoy boy. How did that go?" she asked, though her dry voice made it sound like she couldn't possibly give any less of a damn.

However, Narcissa smiled nonetheless, happy to get an excuse to talk to someone besides her siblings about her summer. "Oh, it was lovely! We went to their family's home in France. It was beautiful there in the summer. I'll have to take the boys along with me sometime," she grinned, ruffling up Regulus' hair a bit as she spoke. This just made the small boy smile, looking up at his favorite cousin with wide, hopeful eyes.

"We'll have to see about that one," Walburga remarked, her face stoic and her mouth pressed into a line. Regulus' smile dissipated, but he still stuck close to his cousin.

Narcissa checked the time on a large clock on the wall, humming quietly through her lips. "We best get going. The Slytherin's have a few carts towards the back of the train. I'm sure they'd love to have you back there with us, Reggie," she told him, resting her hand on his shoulder as she spoke.

"That would be perfect. Right, Regulus?" his mother asked, her hands clasped together in front of her while she looked down at him for an answer. He quickly nodded, setting his bag down before rushing over to his mother and wrapping his arms around her as best as he could. While he couldn't see it, she made a sour face, and simply patted his shoulder in response. "Alright, you best be getting on the train," she said, taking a step back away from him.

Regulus frowned softly, shoving his hands in the pockets of his black, pleated trousers before nodding slowly. "Bye," he called out to his mother and father, grabbing his trunk once again.