2. ʟɪᴏɴ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ

TORN

002. LION HEART

before the sorcerer's stone

───── ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ─────

LUCY was trembling in anticipation as they approached the brick wall at King's Cross. 

When it was time to walk through the brick wall, she flinched. Not as much as her dad, but still, she hated how scared she had been. Moony handed Lucy her cat — Oliver — and she hugged him close to her chest, and although the cat clearly didn't like it, he didn't hiss, which was major progress. Mason was in charge of the trolley packed with parcels from their day at Diagon Alley.

As he watched the parents say goodbye to their kids, Mason placed all of his efforts into trying to remain calm as he watched his daughter, his only child, leave for a year away in a magical boarding school, and based on the stories that Moony had told him, it didn't seem safe at all

"Dad," Lucy said. "Are you ok? I have been calling you for centuries."

Mason smiled down at his daughter. "I was just thinking about how fast you have grown up."

"Oh, Dad, don't cry," Lucy groaned. She knew that if her dad started crying, she would too and that would be a great way to start the year.

Moony placed a hand on his shoulder and said softly, "It's time." 

Mason knew that Remus was also trying his best not to cry, but he did a good job of hiding it. 

"Lucy, do you have everything?" Moony asked as he moved to scan the trolley for any last-minute items they had forgotten to pack. After checking Lucy's baggage at least fifteen times, Mason doubted that they could have forgotten anything. Besides, if they did forget it, there was nothing they could do about it now.  "Wand?"

"Right here." She tapped gently her purse where her wand was.

"Listen to me very carefully," Remus said, squatting to look Lucy in the eye. "Oliver will not leave your side during the journey and he is trained to sense danger. He will be your protector during your stay there. I'll send you mail regularly and you shall respond to mine and your father's letters as soon as possible. If you don't, I swear that will send you a Howler."

"I will, Moony," she nodded, before realizing she had no idea what he meant by his last phrase. "Wait, what's a Howler?"

"You don't want to know," he said. "I love you, Lucy."