3. ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋꜰᴀꜱᴛ ᴄʟᴜʙ

TORN

TORN

003. THE BREAKFAST CLUB

before the sorcerer's stone

───── ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ─────

WHISPERS followed Lucy from the moment she left her dormitory the next day. People lining up outside classrooms stood on tiptoes to get a look at her or doubled back to pass her in the corridors again, staring. Even though Charlie's little act on the feast had undoubtedly helped, people still talked, and Lucy still felt like an animal at the zoo.

And if that wasn't enough, Lucy was beginning to find it irritating how often she got lost. Fred and George seemed to have a natural talent to navigate the hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts, and Lucy had the impression that finding the quickest route in and out of trouble was their second nature.

By their second day in the castle, the twins had decided that Peeves was their personal hero. They had made it their mission to get the poltergeist to like them as much as they liked him. They were now guiding unaware students into the area where Peeves was in the hopes that he would pull the rug from under their feet. But so far, all that they achieved was Peeves throwing an impossibly large bag of flour on George's head, grabbing his nose, and screeching, "Got your conk!"

In the classes themselves, Lucy sat next to Mary Ollivander. The girl had been the first to warm up to Lucy, desperate to have a friend in the new school. She and Mary sat in front of the twins during History of Magic. To make the lessons bearable, they would send each other notes and make funny faces when Professor Binns wasn't looking.

Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, was a tiny little wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk. At the start of their first class, he took the roll call, and when he reached Lucy's name he gave an excited squeak and toppled out of sight.

But Lucy's favorite subject, by far, was Transfiguration. In their first class, she and the twins got lost, but they managed to get to the classroom before McGonagall. "Made it!" George announced happily. "Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?"

To their horror, the cat — which neither of them had noticed — jumped off the desk and transformed into Professor McGonagall. "That was bloody brilliant!" Fred said.

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps, it'd be more useful if I were to transfigure the three of you into a pocket watch," McGonagall replied. "That way, one of you might be on time."

"We got lost," Lucy explained.

Unmoved by the excuse, the teacher replied, "Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats."