Chapter 1 ~ The North Remembers

We'd moved camp once again and at this point I was completely lost, if I knew where we were on a map I would've been happy but after a small out burst that involved a dagger and a Frey man who ended up dead I was no longer allowed to do anything that caused me to come into contact with men that weren't my brother and the guards that shadowed me.

I sat and watched as Storm and Grey Wind napped in the sun, there was a touch of snow on the ground and the soldiers were struggling to escape the cold "you think too much" Theon said from my left causing me to snort in a very unladylike fashion.

"And you think to little Squid" I replied as he sat down next to me, I eyed him from my periphery and realised he looked as haggard as I felt.

"I'm sorry about your Lord father" he said quietly, Theon and I always had an odd relationship with one another, it wasn't that we disliked each other it was more we squabbled as siblings do, just more so.

"He was your father as well," I sniffled, taking in the air that smelt of rain "just in a different way" we locked eye for a moment and nodded to each other in understanding.

"You never once called me his prisoner like others do" he said, his voice was slightly bitter at the thought of whoever thought he was locked in Winterfell.

"Because you aren't, I was there when father brought you to Winterfell when you were 8, you were a scared child in a place you'd never been with people you'd never met" I eyed him for a moment, "it's too bad you didn't stay the likeable young boy you were" I teased, knocking my shoulder with his.

"You're one to talk Wolfling" he said with a quiet laugh, "why do you stay loyal to the Kingslayer?" He asked and I raised my eyebrow in question "Robb was saying you demanded that the Kingslayer ride with you on your horse because you didn't trust the guards"

"And I still don't, I married Jaime knowing who he was and what he had done, I married out of duty because it's what was expected of me. He earned my loyalty by being there for me when I needed him" I shrugged as Storm got up and ambled her way towards us, I held my hand out and she butted her giant head into my palm "without Robb I was alone, yes I had father in the Capital and my sisters but I needed someone to work with me, Jaime was that someone" I sighed deeply.

"I don't understand what you're talking about" Theon admitted, his hand scratching the back of his neck.

"Of course you don't, my loyalty to Jaime is different to my loyalty to my family, it's more complex then words can describe" I shrugged again and scratched Storm under her chin "some days I wish Jon Arryn hadn't died and that Robert never came to Winterfell but then I remember that if things didn't happen the way they have I wouldn't have Jaime" I glanced at some Karstark men who eyed Storm cautiously "I just wish that everything else didn't happen, Bran falling from the Tower, father getting hurt, Mother taking Tyrion prisoner" I gulped harshly to get rid of the lump that formed in my throat "father being killed" I shook my head, I had been having dreams of father in the crypts below Winterfell, his head in one hand, his other raised to grab me while his once grey eyes were turned a glowing blue that sent me screaming into wakefulness.

"I'm sure a lot of us wish the same thing Wolf" we looked at one another and he shrugged, I knew he was enjoying the war more then he was letting on, Theon was always a little blood thirsty and he was always up for a fight and I was sure going to war was his idea that he had planted in Robb's head.

"You're a terrible liar Squid" I got up from my seat with both Grey Wind and Storm by my side, I made my way to Jaime, it was too early for me to bring him dinner as I had just sent over some food earlier in the day but I needed someone to talk to, I was planning on trying to convince mother and Robb to let us free, to go back to the Capital and bring Arya and Sansa home but I needed to plan it better.