Chapter 2 ~ What is Dead May Never Die

I poured another cup of wine and guzzled it down as mother entered, she took in my clothing thrown everywhere and then she looked at me "I am so sorry Wolfling" she said as she removed the cup from my grip and touched my tear stained cheeks "your heart will heal" she wiped away a tear.

"I'm not heartbroken" I said bitterly, I watched as she moved around my tent and pick up the things I had thrown in anger, she then began to pack some of my things "are you making me go back to Winterfell?" I asked as I soon up and swayed slightly, several cups of wine and no food was a bad decision.

"No, not yet, Robb has sent Ser Rodrik to look after the boys, he wants us to go to the Stormlands" she looked at me for a moment hummed in the back of her throat and then continued what she had been doing.

"Why the Storm...." I paused and sighed, "Renly is in the Stormlands isn't he?" I laughed and got up "of course he is, I bet being King wasn't his idea, it was probably Loras'"

"It doesn't matter who's idea it was, Renly has an army of 100,000 behind him, Rob wants us to negotiate" mother said as she finished packing, she lifted my sword and held it out to me "your brother needs you" her eyes began to plead with me.

"Fine," I said grabbing the sheath and placing it on top of the trunk of clothes that we'd gotten, "It would be nice to see Renly again" I sighed, looking at mother I frowned at the sallow look of her complexion "you need to get more sleep" I mumbled it was my turn to be concerned.

"I never slept well without your father next to me" she admitted, my heart clenched at the thought of what my future could be, I could hardly sleep as it was without Jaime.

"Mother" I mumbled and pulled her into a tight embrace as if my arms could change what happened.

~~~

We arrived at Renly's camp just outside of Storm's End almost two weeks of hard riding, hopping off the horse that I had borrowed from one of Robb's men, because Ember was somewhere hopefully being looked after by Lannister men, I patted it's flank and handed the reigns to a saddler who nodded at me and mother before leading the horses away to be fed and watered, "Renly seems to have quite the following" mother commented as we heard men's cheers from by the cliffs where banners flew Ser Colen, our guard lead the way.

"People have always loved Renly," I replied as we neared the crowd "he's kind to everyone" the crowd parted for Ser Colen and a few of the men threw us cautious looks as Ser Loras was thrown to the ground by his sparring opponent, Loras couldn't get up in time when the persons sword was pressed to his throat.

"Yield, I yield" Loras said loud enough for everyone to know he was defeated, his opponent removed their helm and it was a woman who had bested the Knight of the Flowers.

"That must be Lady Brienne of Tarth" I said to mother who watched as a woman almost the size of the Hound moved closer to Renly and kneeled before him.

"How do you know that Wolfling, I don't recall you ever meeting anyone from House Tarth" she glanced at me as Brienne asked Renly to let her serve as a Kingsguard which he agreed to immediately.

"Renly mentioned her enough when we were in King's Landing together, they're great friends" I shrugged when she shot me a look as Ser Colen stepped forward to introduce us to Renly.

"Your Grace, I have the honour to bring you Lady Catelyn Stark and Lady Anaris Stark, sent as an envoy by Robb, Lord of Winterfell" Colen said loudly, Renly grinned at me as mother and I came to stand in the middle of the sparring ring.

"Lord of Winterfell and King in the North," mother said causing me to cough at the tension her words caused to the men that surrounded us.

"Lady Catelyn, Lady Anaris, I'm pleased to see you. May I present my wife, Margaery of House Tyrell?" Renly spoke as he stood form his throne and gestured to the woman that sat next to him, she was beautiful much like her brother Loras and she knew how to use her beauty.