Chapter 1: You're Late

Life for you as an adult had been anything but ordinary; you aced your senior exams in high school, got into your dream school, were studying literature and music. Something about this degree thrilled you; some part of you felt like the world was made of art. Because you were excelling, you were offered the chance to enter an exchange student program, leading you to living in Moscow for the better half of the last year.

However, just a month before returning home, you came to realise you had no money left and needed to find a job, quick. Being that most places weren't thrilled with the idea of hiring someone for a single month, you were losing hope. You'd whittled down your options in a feverish dash to find somewhere, and all that was left were bars and clubs. It was only a month, you'd be fine serving drinks into the wee hours. You spent that time studying anyway, you were used to running on low sleep.

On a particularly cold day, you found yourself running across the square towards the train station. Your outfit, which you cursed now for its lack of movement, was put together to look professional, but mostly you just hated the tight skirt and the heavy over jacket you'd thrown on upon realising the winter was really setting in. Your interview for this place was scheduled immediately after a class and you were moments from being late for the train. Loaded down on one side by your satchel bag, the other hand occupied by a stack of piano sheet music you'd not had time to put away, all you could focus on was the clock above the station. Every second was taunting you - you're going to be late.

In your focus, you completely missed the small group of people coming in from your left

In your focus, you completely missed the small group of people coming in from your left. Time completely halted when you ran shoulder first into a tall woman, her coffee going flying, cascading down to the cobblestone with your sheets and, most painfully, your body. Before you knew what was happening, two pairs of hands were on you and you were jostled to your feet by a couple of brooding men in sleek black suits and dark glasses.

"Hey!" you cried, their grip on your arms painful.

"Оставить её одну," came a smooth voice. You looked up to the woman you'd collided with. Her sharp, icy eyes flicked between the men and the pressure wrapping your arms loosened. Those same eyes turned down to you; she was a good few inches taller than you. You swallowed, not sure how to read her expression.

She took a moment to look down at the mess on the ground, your sheets fluttering under her shoes. Much as you were terrified, you couldn't help but glance up to the clock, which caught her attention. "Тебе есть где быть, девочка?" she asked.

You rubbed your arm where those goons had been choking off the blood supply, nodding slightly, dropping your gaze. "Извини. Я спешил, потому что... Потому... I am sorry, you don't speak English, do you?"

"You are American?" she asked back, her English accented quite lightly, which surprised you.

"Yes, I -."