Chapter 3: You're Something Different

Trigger warning on parts of this chapter for mentions of homophobia and abuse to a side character.

As per Katya's texted instructions, you were dressed simply in black jeans and a black shirt – you could take your jean jacket off before working. Standing in the train carriage, you went over basic greetings in your head, so you could at least be friendly with customers. 'Здравствуйте, как дела? Что вам предложить? Вот твой напиток.'

Wandering down the street from the train station to the club, you checked the time; 4:25. Probably a little earlier than needed, but you preferred to be too early than too late. Pushing through the door, you noted a few other staff members milling around, much like they had yesterday. Sasha was chatting with one of the staff behind the bar, pointing out something on the register screen. As you neared, she looked up, offering a smile. "Привет, how are you [Y/N]? Katya's in her office."

"Thank you," you returned, dipping your head, and turning to the same office as yesterday. Dima and the other guard stood either side of the door, stoic and impassive. "Nice to see you again, Dimitri." The faintest smile lifted the corner of his mouth. "And, uh... I never learned your name."

There was a brief pause before a gruff voice demurely spat out, "Sergei."

"Sergei," you grinned. "Katya asked me to see her."

They glanced between each other behind darkened shades, before Sergei rapped his knuckles lightly on the door twice. Katya opened the door soon after, eyes falling to you. "Ah, my exchange student. Come in, come in."

You dutifully took the same seat as yesterday, expecting some general paperwork or maybe some pre-work questionnaires. You were not, however, prepared for what she was about to go into. "[Y/N], I took you on for this job because it seems to me that you are the type of person to be hard working and earnest. When you offered to pay for a meagre coffee, despite it being an accident, I realised you must have a strong sense of what's right. Do you often feel the need to do the right thing, even if to your own detriment?"

A little shocked, you nodded once. "I wouldn't say to my detriment, but I was always taught to do the right thing. I like to pay my own way, I guess."

She gave you a strange look. "You wouldn't say to your detriment?"

Shaking your head, you half shrugged. "I mean, a few dollars is no skin off my nose."

"You said you had no money."

"Well-."

"And I wouldn't say I present myself as somebody who is in desperate need of repayment for a coffee. Do I look lacking in money?" She flourished her hands over herself. She wore a skin tight black dress, embellished with rhinestone silver snakes. The outfit was topped with a neat black blazer.

"Well, no-."

"So what sense does it make to put yourself out for someone who clearly does not need it?"

"Ms Zamolodchikova, I don't really understand where you're going with this."

She folded her hands over the paper in front of her. "I need to know why you gave away your ticket, [Y/N]. Given you are under an exchange program, those kinds of infringements can lead to trouble. Not just for you, your friend and your school, but for my establishment as well. And I don't take these things lightly. There are a lot of risks involved in doing something like that, especially in this country. I have to know that there was good reason."

Heart in your throat, you nodded, looking down. "I don't want to risk her safety," you whispered.

"Unfortunately, unless you tell me, I cannot make sure she will – or you will – remain safe."