iv. moon something away

moonwashed [ 04 ]

❝moon something away.❞
to waste time being
sad over something.

The morning sun was shining bright, and Maris couldn't breathe

Kakadilat lang ng mga mata niya na nakatitig nang matindi sa kisame. Her hand slowly crawled on top of her chest, and, slowly, she breathed — and then her heart calmed down.

Maris had just woken up from a dream about Mizuki.

Sa panaginip niya, magkasama silang dalawang nakaupo sa railing ng lighthouse. Hinahangin ang parehas nilang buhok habang nakasingkit ang mga matang nakatingin sa palubog na araw. Bago matapos ang panaginip ni Maris, nilingon niya si Mizuki na nakangiti.

"Your hand is warm," sabi nito. Her voice sounded dreamy and faint, but Maris's heart clung to it. "How does mine feel?"

Before she could even answer, Maris's eyes shot open, and then she found herself thinking about it, her cheeks feeling warm.

It's weird, she thought. Why would she dream about another girl that way? She's just a friend, she thought again. At least she's supposed to be.

Right?

Maris had never liked girls before — she'd just never looked at girls that way. Para sa kanya, kaibigan lang lahat ng mga nakasalamuha niya . . . but then, she hadn't liked boys either. Maris had never felt any romantic connection with anyone in her life so as she stared wide-eyed at her ceiling, her heart felt like a whirlwind of confusion and excitement. If she'd experience her first romantic connection with an odd girl who liked wishing on first stars and screaming on lighthouses, how funny (and beautiful) would that be?

Bumangon na lang siya ng kama saka pinalo ang noo. There was no way she'd feel something like that just because of a dream. It's stupid.

Biglang nag-ping ang phone niya. Saka niya naalalang walang phone si Mizuki, kaya hindi niya nahingi ang contacts nito. Sa pag-uusap nila nakaraang gabi, Mizu seemed like a girl from thirty years back — too quiet (not when she screams on top of a lighthouse), gentle, traditional. It's as though she time travelled.

Pag-open ni Amaris ng phone niya, bumungad ang text message ng kaibigan niya na ang sabi, sunduin daw siya sa bahay nila at kung maaari, paghandaan siya ng baon. Maris sighed. Her friend was so out of her way and would take her at least ten minutes to get there, then another fifteen minutes for them to get to school. She wanted to say no, but she didn't want to hurt her feelings either, so she just replied sure! and turned off her phone, in case her other friends would ask her for anything exhausting, too.