Chapter 5

"Why 'the spark'?" I asked. "Why not, 'warrior' or 'bravery'?".

They all looked at me like I was putting down an old tradition. The mayor's wife spoke this time. "They also say that who ever wears that is a spark to a flame, the symbol of a change being near, a sign. The Capitol doesn't like 'the spark'. Lets just leave it at that."

I remembered that we were on a short time frame. I hugged Henry again. Thanked everyone. Then the peacekeepers came in and demanded that they were to leave now.
I hugged Henry again and said, "I love you Henry".

He was yanked half way out the door but managed "I love-" and was cut off.

It was now safe to cry.

Flora then opened the door. "Aw child. Don't be scared. I come from the Capitol, does it look like I could hurt you". Well definitely not you. But I could give you some choice options on where to stick your fish costume. I'm sure our polite escort wasn't allowed to hurt us, but the gamemakers, they certainly can. "Come, come child. We don't want to be behind schedule do we? Oh no, no, no. The Capitol wouldn't be happy with us if we were late."

I asked Flora if she could 'help me with my necklace that had fallen off when I was talking to the mayor's family'. Obviously she wouldn't know about the spark. She was too posh for old district jewellery. She only wanted what she referred to as 'in'. I thanked her after she attached the spark symbol around my neck. The plated leather and seaweed lace (what was suspending the symbol on my neck) somehow matched with what I was wearing.

She pushed me out the door and we went to 'pick up William'.

William was a mess. He was crying waterfalls the whole time we were in the car travelling to the train station. Flora explained that it would take one and a half days to get to the Capitol. Which sort of made sense. I wouldn't know, we weren't allowed to see a map just in case we were going to use it for escaping, rebellion, etc.

We then waved away the district. As the doors closed on the train that we had stepped into only a few moments before. I walked forward towards a door to kindly open it for Flora and William. But it opened automatically leaving that action to a lost cause.

I stepped inside to a beautiful array of food and weird coloured liquids, brilliantly coloured and styled furniture and table sets. From behind me, William let out a "wow" in amazement. I immediately walked over to the comfy looking chairs, diving my hands into the cushion. Soft and cozy, I then sat in it admiring the view around me. William and Flora quickly joined me in the comfortable chairs. Right about now, I wanted to pop the fake bubbles rising from Flora's hat.

"I understand this must be hard for the both of you, but you need to focus on the future, not the present. Come on you two. We will be in the Capitol tomorrow and they expect you to be in a good mood. Be a little more.... Um... Cheerful." Flora said, clearly not helping the situation.

William and I sat in silence for a moment.

"Not a very talkative bunch are we? Hmmm. I think I'll go fetch Sarah and Jacob. I'm sure you have many questions for them". Flora said making her way for the sliding automatic door in the opposite direction we came from.

As soon as she was gone I turned to William. "And what's your story" I asked.

"What do you mean story?" William asked curiously.

"Where'd you come from, I haven't seen you around the district. I want to know what you're like seeing as though you're my 'fellow tribute' and all." I said annoyed at the fact that I'm here.

"Umm.. Well. I'm 17. I help my family with their fish restaurant business so, technically I'm a waiter. I go to school, so um... Yea, normal I guess. You?" William gave his short biography, I wasn't taking notes, I was looking for weaknesses.  What can't I say? I really need to win this.

"Well, I'm 15. My parents abandoned me at birth, I had to find my own way... Oh I live in a shack not too far off the beach. No-one else is with me, I make my own money from my fishing and weaving, feed myself, oh, and I go to a school. Yep, that's pretty much it." I stated, clearly beating my personal game of 'who should be crying right now'.

"Oh, well, that's too bad". William said down sizing me.

"It's not that bad after all. I know how to fish, so I can catch and kill animals. I can weave nets, so I can make traps. Come to think of it, it's brilliant. I practically taught myself how to survive, the games can't be that much different." I said upsizing myself again.

"Oh but you're wrong", a voice came from in behind me. Where Flora disappeared a few minutes ago, "The games is much different from where we come from. Whether you have survival skills or not, doesn't determine the winner, it determines who is stronger." It was Sarah talking, obviously hearing the last sentence I said.

"The winner is also determined by who has a strong background, a reason to live, something that makes them determined to win the games. It could be anything; loss, horror, strength, curiosity, love. The Capitol drools over that kind of stuff. You want to win; you need to have all of those things. Plus a strong mind, you will never be able to bounce back mentally from the games if you don't have one. I suggest, you make it or brake it now." This time Jacob spoke as if answering the next question I had.

"Okay, any suggestions?" William spoke. I wonder what made him determined to win.

"Love. The sponsors droll over that. But if your too... how do you put it... 'out there', the Capitol loses interest. About survival; water, shelter and food should be the first things on your mind. Make a mental map of the Arena. Know your surroundings, that way you could use it to your advantage in a fight." Sarah spoke to answer William's question.

"I also suggest you get some sleep tonight. You won't be getting a lot of that in the Capitol". Suggested Jacob.

"On that thought, I better take you on a short tour to your rooms, I forgot to do that earlier". Flora said. I completely missed her when she walked into this... Umm.. carriage. Really, how could I, she still was wearing the head piece that let fly bubbles into the air.

Flora took us the short trip around the train. It was long, yes. But there were a few carriages we weren't allowed in at the front and back off the train. Flora stated them as being 'off limits for tributes'.
We passed a few amazingly decorated rooms filled with flowers, food and TV sets. We then stopped at about 3 carriages down.

"These are your rooms, I want you to go wash up and have something to eat before making your way back to the dinning carriage, which is the one you went into first when we left your district. Now, chop, chop." Then Flora turned around and scurried back down where we had come from.