That Sinking Feeling 2

Paani's life in the forest, all alone, was not fraught without peril. It had it's own dangers to be desired.

Paani kept mostly to himself, the Octonauts had noticed, his blunt nature a signal of either "This is what you're getting, this is me." or "Please don't talk to me." According to Paani, the various members of the animal kingdom, even now with the power of speech, had their own ways of saying "Don't talk to me." Threatening poses, warning sounds, dangerous swipes, and headphones. And books. Surely. The problem was that evolved species didn't seem to understand completely to meaning of these signs, no matter how obvious they are.

They took it as introverted aggravation that Paani wanted to be left alone.

Well, today, they simply could NOT leave Paani alone. And that led to a lot of questions.

How was it that Paani had ended up alone in the forest to begin with? They knew it was probably just part of his job, but there was something more to it.

Paani didn't have a house. Nor did he see the need for one.

They weren't sure how he got his money, but he said he made enough to live comfortably.

He was never ever in any sort of crowded place from what they could see.

And so far, this was the only time they knew of that Paani had someone to take care of him when he was sick.

Barnacles took it upon himself to bring up that situation.

"Now really, Paani. What would have happened had you been stuck on a mountain when the fever hit? What if you were all alone."

"I'd be fine."

The bear sighed. "Paani, don't say that. I know well and good how to tell when it's true." He'd dealt with many difficult people before.

"I did sound the Octo Alert."

"Yes...you did do that."

Sighing, Barnacles looked down at his charge. Paani was bundled up in some blankets, trying to sleep off his fever. There was so much they didn't know about the macaque, which might have been fine, had the hydrologist been willing to open up to them more. But Paani's discourage toward speaking freely toward other creatures seemed to get in the way, making Barnacles worry there was something important he might be missing. There was a lot to Paani's story that he wasn't willing to share with anyone. And seeing as he usually wasn't willing to admit he was in any sort of trouble made Barnacles worry even further. he knew all the signs of trauma, having dealt with people like Peso and Tweak and Kwazii, and right now, Paani was exhibiting almost all of them.

Knowing that Paani wasn't willing to tell them all that much about himself...that really got Barnacles thinking.

And he wasn't being rash about it. He HAD asked. Nothing came of it.

Well, Paani did live all alone. This was slightly worrying in itself but it also provided the theory that he might not be used to having anyone to talk to, especially when it came to his problems. Paani was more than used to solving them all on his own.

'Paani, WHY don't you tell us anything?' Now Barnacles just KNEW there was something wrong.

But, it would all have to wait. Right now, Barnacles and the Octonauts had to help Paani get over his fever.

Which brought another question...

"What do you usually do when you're sick?" Paani settled further under the blankets. "Depends."

"On what?"

"How sick I am. That's why I sounded the OctoAlert."

Barnacles nodded his understanding. Paani had been here almost a week, and his fever was getting better. "Have you been to a hospital?"