Chapter 3: Party

Inside the lobby of the building stood Byakuya, ready to frisk you. You gave him a very pointed look and walked right past him, and he didn't seem to bother calling you back. He knew by your reaction in the cabin earlier that you were not planning to kill anyone and you had really counted on that. You made a quick detour to the kitchen before going to the main room. Inside your left pocket, stored well away was a long nail you had spent time getting out of the wall of your cabin. It was used to hang up a painting, but tonight it's use would be much different. You entered the big room, seeing everyone except Fuyuhiko and Hajime inside. You assumed Hajime would be the last to arrive, like always. He had that about him, always arriving last.

You put your hand in your pocket, just having it between your knuckles inside your pocket. There it was going to stay the whole night, so you had it ready for use. Surveying the room closely, you went over to Nagito, who was standing a bit further away from everyone else. He seemed to smile after he saw you. You found it weird, knowing paranoia and despair was coating your face. There was no way you could hide how you felt. But you put on your best mask. "Nagito, handsome as ever." You greeted him. He smiled, but there was no blush lingering on his face like usual. It was suspicious. "Oh, Ryo, I am so happy you decided to show up!" His enthusiasm also seemed rather suspicious, but you could not imagine Nagito trying to kill anyone considering his glorification of everyone with a talent. It was time to bring out another strategy you had prepared while you readied yourself in your cabin.

"Hey so, I thought we should do something for Byakuya since he decided to throw us a party to cheer us up." You started, trying to reel him in with your false story. Acting came very easy for you considering your whole thing, so you're sure he didn't see through it. You could only hope whoever wrote the note was not the cautious type. "As expected of you, you're always so thoughtful, trying to make everyone feel better." He said, and you nodded eagerly. You pulled out a drawing on a folded piece of paper, the drawing being a sketch of Byakuya. Having dabbled in drawing a lot in class when you were younger, your skills had become pretty commendable in your opinion. Nagito's eyes widened and so did his smile. "Wow! That's really good." He complimented. Folding the paper out, you showed your own writing on the 'card' saying 'Thank you for being there for me -Ryo'. You also had convinced Teruteru to sign the note, under the same pretense. You were going to try and get as many people to sign it as possible, trying to recognize the handwriting.

"You want me to sign that, huh?" He asked, and you once again nodded eagerly, smiling up at him good naturedly. His smile faded, his expression serious. Then he took the note from you, crumbling it up before looking at you sadly. It seemed he was looking at you with pity. "It was a good plan, but sadly the plan would rely on me caring if you found out." His smile returned, his eyes deranged once again. Your mouth fell open, not being able to speak. Mind reeling, you connected everything he had said. "So how did you find out about the note?" He asked. You took a step back defensively, your hand with the nail stuffed in your pocket tensing and being ready for use. Nagito tilted his head, his eyes softening. "Don't worry, I won't kill you. Your hope is one of the brightest here. I wouldn't want to snuff out that light so quickly." Still, you backed away, your mind regaining itself and your expression tightening. "You will not get away with this." You told him.

You made ready to get away from him, wanting to go tattle to Byakuya about him but noticing your movement, he grabbed your arm and reeled you in close to his body. "I am honoured you would ask me to dance!" He announced too loudly. obviously trying to get other people to not be suspicious of what was happening between the two of you. As he held onto you, you caught the eyes of Hajime staring weirdly at the two of you. This meant everyone was here. Yet it didn't stop Nagito, as he basically forced you into a dance. He leaned in and placed his head on your shoulder to whisper to you. "You should get rid of that weapon in your pocket. Wouldn't want to be the cause of someones murder yourself. How did you even manage to sneak that in?"