Chapter 57

"Right" Regulus said "let's talk horcruxes"

Sirius, Remus and Hermione were sitting around the kitchen table, the bag containing the locket and ring in the centre.

"Where are they? What are they? Who's guarding them? Discuss"

They all exchanged glances, waiting for the other to start.

"It makes sense for them to be with the Dark Lord's most trusted" Hermione offered. "I'd say that's Bella. Maybe Barty. Oh Reg, you'll never guess what Barty's done now! He's only gone and -" She stopped herself, remembering that Remus and Sirius might not appreciate the gossip she was ready to spill. "I'll tell you later. I might even add Snape. Someone you wouldn't expect, you know"

Sirius's expression soured but he didn't say anything. Could he, when his own friend had betrayed him? Could he really berate Snape at this very moment in time?

Remus nodded along "maybe ask around a bit. You're friends with a lot of them, right? Like Narcissa. Then you can get an idea of who knows what"

"What about Rowle? You're pretty cosy with him" Sirius sent Hermione a mocking wink and Regulus frowned.

Hermione rolled her eyes "Sod off"

"Finn Rowle" Regulus asked, though it came off as more of a statement. He was calm, though an eerie calm.

Sirius nodded.

"Can we get back to scheming?" Remus tried to get them back on track, but the seed had been planted.

Regulus sat back in his chair, his jaw set "If Sirius has his concerns he should voice them"

Hermione sat there, her face a porcelain mask. Regulus's eyes flickered to her.

Sirius shrugged "All I'm saying is that it's clear Rowle knows Nita's a 'widow' and he isn't afraid to make his intentions clear"

"Ah" Regulus twirled his wand, weaving it in and out of his fingers.

Remus practically shouted eureka "Maybe we can use Hermione's new relationship status to our advantage. I seem to remember Rabastan having a thing for her back at Hogwarts"

"Rabastan wanted to shag anything that moved, what's your point?" Hermione scoffed.

Regulus seemed to catch on, rather reluctantly "Rabastan has access to the Lestrange vault. If Bella wanted to hide something, there would be the perfect place. It's protected almost as well as mine or yours"

"And the others?" Sirius asked.

"We'll work it out" Regulus waved his hand. His jaw was still wound tight and, while Hermione had always thought he looked all the more sexy when he was pissed, she was annoyed herself. Now she had to seduce Rabastan of all people.

James wasn't trusted with the Black hiding place, so Hermione went to them. They needed a game plan, a way to twist Pettigrews betrayal to their advantage. Sirius's leg was shaking, going up and down under the table.

Remus was sitting in between him and Ninita, afraid she might punch him. Regulus had been in a mood ever since that meeting. James was just sad. He wasn't angry, he wasn't demanding revenge, he was just there. Lily had her hand on his arm, but he wasn't acknowledging her at all.