Part 4 - Black as the Night Sky

Three nights passed since he had arrived in Steamwatch. He had interviewed a few victims, but most of them couldn't give anything too concrete. Whoever this Shadow Bandit was, he was good at keeping his identity hidden. Roswell was beginning to wonder if he actually was some kind of shadow creature; perhaps some kind of undead or demon. The only problem with that theory was that the bandit himself seemed to be a human, but he was always accompanied by some entity, and that seemed to be the shadow creature. However, what kind of undead or demon would serve a human, or at least aid, a human? Unfortunately, no one could even give a good description of this creature either, other than it having four red eyes.

Upon waking on the fourth morning, Roswell pulled on his black slacks and buckled his leather boots. He made sure he looked presentable, and just before leaving his room, he threw on his leather harness. It still held his revolver, but also carried a few knives and pouches. Finally, he donned his red frock, and left his room for the day.

With it being the early morning, the main parlor was mostly empty, with only a few individuals and groups spotting the tables and bar, quietly talking amongst themselves while enjoying their breakfast. Roswell had his own morning meal, and then left to begin his investigation to find Orion.

He visited the more prosperous parts of the town. Their market square, which was in the southeastern end of town. The main highway ran through the town, even crossing the bridge and out toward the northwest. This market was located at the edge of the entry point where folks would come in from Anchormist or Halifax to the south, or Arkham Hill from the east, so it's the first thing travelers from the cities see when they come in off the road.

In this market, there were not just various stalls set-up in the great square, but it was surrounded by various shops built around the square. Ridley Square, as it was officially named, was a much more inviting place than the back markets of Steamwatch. This was clearly where the best farmers of the town's countryside came to sell their products. Other stores consisted of a candy store, antique parlor, a tailor, a cobbler, and a shop where a local woodcarver sold various works he made. There was one sign pointing to a clockmaker on the second floor of the brick building of which it was placed in front.

At one point he had stopped in front of a bookstore to see the latest book in a series he enjoyed. He continued on until he passed by a women's dress store where he paused. There was a mannequin standing in the display window. It was wearing a black dress with a hem that reached its ankles with no train, and leather boots. It immediately evoked memories of a beautiful woman wearing a similar dress. She had short black hair who's curls caressed her jawline. She had the biggest smile he had ever seen, and he could remember the sunlight twinkling off her blue eyes. Then there was a brilliant ruby hung around her neck. A ruby who's nature he would not understand for some time after the moment of this memory.

When he decided to move on, he began to overhear a conversation between two women sitting nearby enjoying their pastries. "You haven't heard?" one of the women asked in a surprised tone.

"No, what happened?" the other woman inquired.

"About a month ago, Elijah was walking back home from town, and on his way he was attacked by some highwayman." The second woman gasped, raising her hand to cover her mouth. "Oh yes. They assaulted poor Elijah and took nearly everything he had. Left him with naught but the clothes on his back."

After the second lady had a moment to process this, she responded, "No wonder he isn't at his stall today."

"Indeed, he's been recovering at home for the last few days."

"Excuse me," Roswell interjected. The two ladies looked at him, a bit taken aback by his interruption. "I couldn't help overhearing, but your story may be related to an investigation I'm in town for." The women seemed to relax a bit but still seemed unsure of the stranger. "Does Steamwatch experience this sort of crime often?"