♟Thank you.♟

Jaden rested on Desmond's broad chest staring up into his golden-brown eyes as he lay propped up on pillows. He peered back, catching glimpses of her soul, "I'll go to war with God behind you." He whispered, as his strong hands caressed her skin, memorizing every curve.

•••

Jaden gently stirred from sleep as her nostrils filled with a very familiar cologne. She soon realized there were a pair of muscular arms draped around her, and a satisfied hum escaped her.

Desmond, facing her, decided to speak, "Jaden, I'm sorry." He'd been laying in bed with her since he'd arrived an hour before. He wasn't sure how she'd react but he needed to be near her.

"Don't apologize." She told him, "It was my fault for overreacting."

He sighed in relief. She didn't hate him. "I shoulda been there for you, though. Instead, I made you feel like I couldn't handle it."

Jaden reached her hand up to touch his face in the dark room, "Desmond, I didn't mean what I said to you and I'm so sorry." she told him as tears rolled down her face.

"Just don't leave like that again. I know you be wantin space, but I was goin crazy thinkin you were really done wit me." Desmond snickered to hide his embarrassment.

Luckily, they were in the darkness so Jaden couldn't see how badly Desmond looked. He hadn't been sleeping since she was gone. It had been nearly a week and he was already stressed knowing his meeting was near.

Jaden cleared her throat before speaking, "I gonna get help. I've been in a bad place for a long time. It's becoming harder to hide, and I shouldn't be hiding it to begin with."

"Whatever you wanna do, I support you." He told her before kissing her forehead.

She lifted her head and pecked his lips softly. He returned her affection, kissing her gently but passionately.

"How long before Jace gave me up?" She asked with a slight giggle.

"We were on the phone, and I heard you in the background... havin a nightmare." he faltered, "Why didn't you want me to know where you were?"

Jaden reflected before answering, "I feel like I'm just adding so much extra stress to your life."

"What do you see in your sleep?" He finally asked, after wondering for so long.

"Everything." She said softly.

"Have you ever talked to anybody about it?" He rubbed calming circles in her back.

"I never got that far in therapy."

"Will you tell me?" He invited, searching for her eyes in the dark.

Jaden didn't want Desmond to look at her differently, but she didn't want to keep hiding herself from him.

After contemplating, she spoke, "Horrible memories. Sometimes it's about the night my mom's boyfriend beat me up and tried to rape me before she threw me out. Sometimes it's...ummm..." she paused and breathed, "The times Bishop raped and abused me, or when..."She exhaled, "I got an abortion and killed his baby." 

Desmond stayed silent, his jaw clenching, not wanting her to know he was upset. If he wasn't already planning on killing Bishop, this would've been his reason. From the way she reacted when he was brought up, he knew their situation was a lot worse than she let on, but he didn't expect this.

Jaden silently relaxed more into his arms, as he pulled her closer. A tear dropped down his face, "I love you, Jaden." He whispered in her ear.

She froze, unsure if she'd heard him correctly, "What did you say?"

"You heard me, I love you." He repeated, wiping his face, "I'm here, and I'll do whatever it takes to protect you, as long as you'll let me."

She held onto him tightly as tears poured down her face. Even in the dark, he could tell she was crying.

"You trust me?" He asked her after a few moments.

"Yes."

"You not responsible for any of those things. Those men took advantage of you, and the people who were supposed to protect you failed. I'm here now and I will protect you. Imma make sure you feel safe again." He paused and wiped his face, "We both need help with our traumas and if you'll consider therapy, I wanna go for the both of us."

"Thank you, Desmond."

♟•••••♟