Safari Song.

"Do you remember what I said, when I got done on my knees? Gotta get your lovin' baby, your lovin's all I need. Don't make me beg now baby, don't make me bleed. I gave you all a man could give and you still walked out on me."

-

"Okay love birds, wake the hell up!" Josh shouts, from the kitchen behind us. I open my eyes, seeing I fell asleep in the living room with Jake last night. I was laying my head on his chest, as his arm was around me. What did I do to deserve this? I kept thinking to myself. I slowly move off of him as he opens his eyes.

Danny and Sam walk out into the living room, Danny putting his hair up as Sam yawned. "What are we doing up at 6 am, Josh? and where is Lex?"

"We are going on a hike, but I need to get a few things done before we go.. so I let her sleep." he smiles.

"All of us?" I say, sitting at the island.

"Yes, all of us!" Josh says, clapping, insinuating we "chop, chop" do to what he told us.

--

A few hours after Josh's demanding ass had us do all the work while he watched, it was time to go.

I wore biker shorts, a hoodie, sneakers and a ball cap. I adjusted Leo in his baby carrier, handing him his juice. It was still dark out, but Josh insisted we get there just before sunset. All 6 of us start making our way up the mountains.

"Does Josh seem a little nervous to you?" Jake asks me, walking beside me, Sam and Danny in front of us and Josh and Lex leading the way.

I shrug, "a little, why he doesn't always act this way?" I say, fixing Leo's hat.

"I know you haven't been around us that long, but I am sure you have noticed how much he talks," he begins, chuckling while whispering, "well he has never been this quiet.." he continues.

I giggle back, "maybe he is just tired.." I say as I look back at him.

He shrugs, "I can only imagine what this cheeky bastard has up his sleeve." he says cheeky bastard in his "Oliver Reed" persona voice. I laugh in return, shaking my head.

--

A few hours and 10 stops later, we arrive to the top of the mountain, over looking one of the most beautiful parts Michigan has to offer.

We all stand there a few minutes in silence, until Leo gabbles on about something making a few of us chuckle.

Josh mumbles something under his breath, and while Lex is still checking out the view he gets down on one knee. All of our eyes widen, shocked but excited.

"Lex.." she turns to meet his gaze, bringing her hand to her mouth.

"We have known each other for what feels like a century, and I have loved you every second of it. Even when we weren't together, my world never stopped spinning for you. When you came back into my life, I knew I couldn't let you escape again. I feel for you the way the moon feels for the stars, I cannot and will not shine without you. I love you endlessly, Alexis. Will you do me the greatest honor, and marry me?" he said, opening up a box to reveal a beautiful sapphire stone in the center with a rose gold band, lined with silver diamonds.

I felt myself tearing up, as Lex brought down her hand and nod. Josh stood up, shaking as he put the ring on her finer, spinning her around and yelling. We all smiled and clapped, "Congrats!" the boys yell and tackle Josh as he released from Lex.

I put my hands together and smile big, watching a real true life fairytale. Lex walks up to me and I open my arms to hug her, "Congrats, Lex!" I smile, I didn't want to ask, but something in the back of my head, wondered if she had told Josh about her past. "Thank you!" she smiles, looking down at her ring.

On our way back, I nudged Jake, "well now you know what he was nervous for!", he chuckled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and giving me a kiss on the temple.

--

It had been three days since we got back from our weekend trip, Jake was texting me everyday and it made me forget all about the fact that the Monday I got back to the shelter, Lex moved in with Josh and I was now all alone.

I bent down, picking up the stack of mail that was in front of the door and sat down at the table. I smiled as I came across the "you're invited" letter, that said Lex's bridal shower was next weekend. I toss out the junk mail and hang up the invitation on the fridge, I smile and turn around to find one lonely piece of mail sitting on my table.

I read it carefully, my hands squeezing the letter as I read further down. Troy was moving his residence permanently to Michigan for the "foreseeable future" and was petitioning for custody. My gut felt like someone had stabbed me and was twisting it slowly. I grabbed my phone and called my mom, she has a lot on her plate with my dad but I didn't know who else to call.

"Hello?" my mother answered, and I felt my mouth go dry. I didn't know what to say and I was scared of saying anything.

"Mom, Troy is moving to Michigan and wants to take Leo from me" I cried out and my eyes pooled.

"What? What are you talking about? I thought he was in jail." she replied, sounding concerned.

"He was, he called me last week from there. I had apparently told him where I was and he showed up here.

"Gary fucking Gilmore." my mother gritted through her teeth. I closed my eyes letting tears fall, "Mom what am I gonna do?"

"You're gonna move back home." my mother protested. "I can't, not now that I am being called into court," I sniffle.

My mom sighs loud on the other line, "do you have a job? a place to live? food in the house?"

"Yes, well, sort of.." I starting biting my nails, as I do whenever I get nervous.

"What do you mean, sort of? Tell me what you need and I will send you the money." she states.

"No way mom, you have enough to handle there, with dad."

She scoffs, "not enough to make me stop being your mother."

After getting off the phone, I look at the clock and realize I am 20 minutes late to my shift. I hustle out the door, dropping Leo off at daycare and rushing towards the bar.

"Where the hell have ya been, kid?" Sal sighs, handing me the list for tonight.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry." I say, putting on my apron. I walk out to the floor and Lex is standing at the bar. "Hey, hot stuff" she giggles.

I blow a hair from my face and shake my head, smiling at her. After coming back from taking the tables orders, Lex stands next to me while I hand them to the bartender.

"So.. I have been meaning to tell you.." Lex begins. "That award show is coming up in a few weeks, and then after that the boys are going to LA to start recording some songs."

I nod, "Jake told me," I look at the bartender and smile as she takes the last order.

"So.. this is my last shift tonight." she looks down and back up. I felt my heart being ripped from my chest, now all my friends are leaving me, especially at a time like this. I didn't want to rain on Lex's parade so I just smiled. "That's great, Lex!", I grab the tray full of drinks and walk to my first table.

"You're not upset?" Lex says, following me. I shrug, "why would I be? You're engaged for cryin' out loud, it isn't like the shelter was your forever home anyway." I look at her, walking towards the back.