Chapter 17: Lungmen part 3

A/N: Hello my dear readers!!! It's been a long time, hasn't it? What do you mean... The chapter is too short? Oh don't worry about it. The original chapter was 30K words but after much thought I decided to cut it in two and here is the first part. The second part should come in the next few days.

In the slums of Lungmen as the sky spat out all the water it seemed to hold into the cold city night, a group of infected children ran through the desolate and ruined streets, zigzagging between the concrete blocks from the collapsing buildings around them. An entire section of the city, whose only purpose was to leave the city's infected to rot there until they died of their disease. The L.G.D. was doing a great job of making sure that no infected people got out... But it often happened that anti-infected rioters more or less voluntarily slipped through the net...

This gave rise to the present situation: a small group of infected children who were running away from a group of wild rioters whose only goal was to satisfy their violent impulses towards the oripathy patients, adults or not. Leading the group was a young ursus dressed in black, leading the younger children behind her. Her breath was heavy and her breathing was becoming more and more difficult and painful much too fast... But the reason for her lack of stamina was reminded every time she looked at her left leg or her torso where the originium crystals were blooming on her body like plants in the spring.

Child: Misha! They're gaining on us!

Her eyes between ash gray and blue quickly turned to the rioters who were chasing them and realizing that the children were about to lose precious time the girl's brain started to accelerate at full speed until an idea came to her

Her eyes between ash gray and blue quickly turned to the rioters who were chasing them and realizing that the children were about to lose precious time the girl's brain started to accelerate at full speed until an idea came to her. Speeding up their race one last time the young ursus turned left into an alley with the other children following in her footsteps.

Misha: Hurry over here!

Rioter: There they are! Follow them! Let's see how long those infected scum can run!

Looking quickly down the alley she could see a crack in one of the walls big enough to fit through. Misha led them through it one by one, leaving them to take shelter in the building's flaw.

Misha: Hurry! Hide!

Child: But Misha, where are you going to go?

Misha: I- I have to do something...

Seeming to look in her pockets for a second or two, the young ursin picked up a kind of small doll made of wood and cloth and handed it to the child who was closest.

Misha: Here. This is a protection charm. My mother taught me how to make them... This one I made, when you make these dolls by hand you can keep the ones you love safe... Take this one. It will keep you safe.

The child, though hesitant, took the gift from the young ursine and dyed it firmly in her hand.

Misha: Good luck.