1 - Idun

The longship Mist Dancer cut through the black water. The gray and white striped sail hid in the early morning fog and made the snarling wooden dragon at the helm seem like it swam alone in the lake. Its fierce eyes scanned the frozen shore it faced. Behind it, turned towards the crew who sat under heavy capes of wool and fur, stood a woman in her twenties with leather armor over a red wool tunic. Idun's blond hair was braided back with a big braid over the top and two smaller ones from each temple. The hair flew free from the back of her head, some locks threaded with beads. She placed her hands on her hips next to a sword and a dagger.

"Those who have visited Garda will take the lead to the longhouse where Torbyorn is likely kept. If he isn't there, we will go door to door until we find him. Spread out and stay focused. We will meet resistance, but remember, we are only here for Torbyorn. Not to fight and especially not to plunder. " Idun fixed her gaze on Elna, a sturdy woman with a round face and light brown, curly hair until she looked away.

"Harald and Sven, guard Mist Dancer until we come back. Make sure we can leave the beach as soon as you see us."

The men nodded.

The shoreline was now close enough to show the cones on the snow-covered branches of the alders. When the hull scraped the bottom of the lake and broke the ice by the shore, the warriors sprung to life. Reluctantly, they replaced their warm coats with cold helmets and shields from the gunwale.

Idun was the first to land in the knee-high water by the ship. She clenched her jaw to catch her breath and waded through crushed ice and slush. Her toes were numb by the time she reached the shore. Stomping in the snow to dry her feet, she waited for the rest to come ashore.

Ash, dressed in black and without a shield, waited until everyone had left Mist Dancer before they took off, running on the gunwale. From the side of the wooden dragon they leaped and landed on the trampled shoreline.

Ash grinned and tied their black hair into a knot by the neck. "Ready?"

Idun rolled her eyes with a smile, lifted the round, white shield, and followed them.

The crew spread out and sneaked forward, only the soft snow under their feet gave any hint of their existence in the dark. The forest's breaths were drawn out to the point that they never seemed to begin nor end. Idun had to remind herself to breathe.

She stretched her inner sense of smell out in the dark. The slightest scent or thought and she would know if anyone was on lookout, but unfortunately, it spread around her in all directions.

Blood.

Idun glanced back. Elna thinking of a battle didn't bode well.

The trees thinned and Idun glimpsed a trail of smoke against the slowly brightening sky.