6 - Viveka

Brunte was a coldblood with a white mane and thick, gray fur that hung over his massive hooves. He was big and strong enough to carry both Viveka, Idun, and their equipment, but had to be bribed with apples to go out in the biting cold.

Idun sat behind Viveka and did her best to stay in the saddle, irritating Viveka with her movement. Why didn't she just hold on to her? For practical reasons. Of course.

As they passed over the burial mounds, Idun squirmed.

Wind. Whispers.

"Don't worry," Viveka teased. "The ghosts here are very polite."

"That doesn't mean I wanna meet them," Idun muttered.

In the forest, Viveka let Brunte set the pace. The afternoon eventually turned to evening and they continued in the dark. She let Brunte, who actually saw where the obstacles were, lead the way.

Before midnight, they sat up camp a stone's throw from the lake. The tent was both low and narrow, made for one person only. To make room, they had to sleep with the package and saddle as if they were blankets and pillows. Viveka felt like a hazelnut caught in the shell with Idun's elbow in the back and packing pressed against legs and arms. But the frustration soon gave way to exhaustion.

They woke as tired as the night before, but an increasing snowfall got them moving. They mounted Brunte and Viveka choked on her breath when Idun's hands touched her waist.

"Sorry!" Idun promptly grabbed the saddle behind her instead.

Viveka struggled to form thoughts into words. "No, sorry! I mean, I don't mind if you..."

Brunte walked on and Viveka got the feeling he rolled his eyes.

"Okay..."

Idun put her hands on Viveka's waist again and a wave of warmth spread to her toes and flushed her cheeks. Maybe the night was worth this moment, despite everything.

Flutes played a cheerful melody.

Viveka smiled and carefully lowered her mental wall. If Idun trusted her, they should be able to trust each other.

They rode southwest and saw plenty of traces of hare, deer, and even moose, but no footprints. The snowfall increased when the sun had risen properly, making the world shine with anticipation. But when the snow lay flat between the trees around them, hope sank.

Mushrooms.

Viveka wrinkled her nose. "Do you smell that?" She looked back and saw Idun examining the bare aspens.

"What?"

"Do you have mushrooms with you?"

Idun turned in the saddle. "I don't think so."

The smell intensified and Viveka's irritation rose. "So where does the smell come from?"

"Fuck if I know. Do you see any leaves?"

"What leaves? It's winter!"

The smell disappeared.

"Stop!" Idun almost shook Viveka off of Brunte. "I think we found the ley line!"

They jumped down and ran back to the aspens.

Viveka lowered her pace, closed her eyes, and focused both outer and inner senses, but the forest was quiet and peaceful. The falling snow even seemed to dampen the sound of her heartbeat.

"Do you know anything more about ley lines?"

Idun swallowed nervously. "Not more than I've said."

Frustration rose. In two swift steps, Viveka stood in front of Idun. "Surely you must know something useful?"