Insomnia

We got back at around 3:30pm the next day and I drove since Stiles didn't sleep much. He hadn't been recently since the weird shadow men with the ninjato type weapons had come about. I also think it had something to do with the almost dying to save his dad. Deaton had said he would lose a part of himself and he had done and he was exhausted because of it.

Argent told us about how he had seen the figures years before when they attacked an important man in Japan and he had been able to slow one down by shooting its mask, which he still had in a wooden box, and managed to survive. We didn't know how though, because all of the pack had tried to stop them and failed. 

On Monday we went to the science room and Stiles told me and Scott about how he met a girl at the party we had been to a few days prior. "So then she starts talking about phosphors and the key having chemicals on it, right? And so that made me think of the chemistry closet, and the fact that someone had to let Barrow in." He said before stopping dead at the blank chalk board. "It's gone. Okay, it doesn't matter though. It doesn't matter I've still got the key." And he walked over to the closet door. "What the hell? I had it... I had it here. I- I had it here this morning, I swear to God, I had it this morning." He whispered in confusion. 

"The key you were talking about the other night?" Scott questioned.

"Yeah, I showed it to you, right? Didn't I show it to you?" Stiles asked him becoming progressively more exasperated.

"No you just told me about it, I never actually saw it." He returned. 

"Ruby?" Stiles looked to me. I just shook my head since I hadn't even heard about it until today. "I was here a couple of hours ago. And the message left to Barrow spelling Kira's name was right there on the board in my handwriting, and I had the key to the chemistry closet."

"So you unlocked the chemistry closet so Barrow could hide in it from the cops, and then you wrote him a message to kill Kira?" I asked in disbelief of what he was telling us.

 "I know how it sounds but, look at this." He said pulling a news report from his pocket. "This is the news report that came out about Barrow when they caught him, okay? About the shrapnel bomb that he used. See this? See what he did? He put nuts, bolts and screws. And then he hid the bomb in the detonator in a box that he wrapped in a birthday present. What does that sound like to you?"

"Coach." Scott said. "The joke we played on coach."

"That was my idea. You remember? That was my idea. That's no coincidence, it can't be." Stiles was mid panic now.

"I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong, but I don't think you're trying to kill people either." I said. Although it was strange, stranger coincidences had happened. Especially in Beacon Hills.

"It was here, it was all here." He said, looking like he was about to pass out.

"Dude, are you feeling okay?" Scott asked, obviously thinking the same as me. "You're looking really tired."

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just haven't been sleeping really..."

"Why don't you go home? Take a sick day or something."

I took him to the hospital and he went into a room with my mom while she did some checks. I waited outside like she asked  but enhanced my hearing so I could listen. "Blackouts. But not for that long. And sleepwalking which I used to do a lot as a kid. Um... Also having some really bad anxiety."

"Panic attacks?"

"Yeah, a couple. Oh, and I temporarily lost the ability to read, but that might have had more to do with this giant magic tree, and a whole, human sacrifice thing."

"I recall something vaguely about that, yes." She said chuckling softly. "How many hours of sleep are you getting?"

"Eight."

"A night?"

"In the last three days." He paused for a while. "Yeah definitely eight."

"Been feeling irritable?" 

"Yeah. Possibly to the point of homicide."

"Inability to focus?" 

"No, the Adderall's not working."

"Impulsive behaviour?"

"More than my usual? Hard to tell." 

"Vivid dreams during the day?" 

"Okay, basically all of the above. Do you know what this is?"

"I think so." There was a pause.

"Uhh, what's that?"

"Do you trust me?"

"When you're not holding a needle."

"It's Midaszolam. A sedative..."

"Why'd you give me a sedative?"

"Because you, Stiles, are one profoundly sleep-deprived young man. You need rest, and you need it now. Lie down."

"Okay, how long's it take to... Oh, not long at all."

"Get some rest." I heard the sheets ruffle.

"Thanks, Mom."

Those two words made my heart melt. And I know for a fact her's did too. We were  basically all related anyway but to hear him say that showed how much he trusted her. I heard the light turn off and she walked out. "So. What's the verdict?" I asked. Even though I already knew the answer.

"Insomnia."