Ch. 4

She wasn't sure how much time had passed; there were no clocks in the room, and she still hadn't heard anything from the other side of the door. On more than one occasion she caught herself watching the door, waiting to see if he would come confront her about what she had said.

As she looked down at the bandage around her forearm, she realized that she did feel somewhat guilty for what she had said to him. She had meant every word, of course, but at the same time...

The faint sound of a door opening and closing shortly after caught her attention and she froze, waiting to hear other noises. After a minute passed with no further noises however, she stood up and quietly went to the window, trying to see something, anything.

There was nothing except the waves rolling onto the beach; she frowned and pushed away from the window, glancing back at the bedroom door. She didn't dare go to it though; the thought of possibly running into Malfoy if she left the room was not something she wanted to deal with, especially after her outburst.

With a heavy sigh, she went back to the bed and sat down, listening to see if she could hear anything else. There were no footsteps, no sounds from the kitchen. For a brief moment, she believed she was alone in the cottage.

A door opened again and she let out the breath she was holding, slouching down to put her head in her hands.

"How the bloody hell am I going to get out of here..."

She woke up facing the wall of the room, finding that everything was dark. As she sat up, she realized that it was well into the nighttime and a small bit of hope bloomed in her chest; maybe now she could go and look at the door, and possibly even escape.

Pulling herself off the bed, she quietly stepped towards the door to the bedroom. After opening it as quietly as she could, she paused to make sure that nothing was disturbed before stepping out into the hallway.

She hesitated before continuing and looked down at her feet; while it would be quieter for her to not wear any shoes when going through the cottage, she knew that she would need them on if she needed to run anywhere. For a few moments she grappled with whether or not to continue wearing her shoes as she walked, and eventually decided that she was wasting time and that it would be easier in the end if she was already wearing her shoes.

As she silently stepped through the cottage, she paused every so often to make sure that she wasn't drawing any attention to herself and that Malfoy wasn't around. She still wasn't sure what time it was, and as she entered the kitchen and dining area she paused again.

There was a doorway on the right that she hadn't noticed before; curiosity made her want to see where it led to, but she had a feeling that it would lead her straight to Malfoy's bedroom, and that was the very last place she wanted to be. She instead continued making her way slowly through the room towards the library, pausing to check the doorway.

The library was dark but she made sure he wasn't sitting in one of the chairs before continuing forward, her eyes on the hallway that led to the front door. Her heart was racing now as she stepped up into the hallway as quietly as she could, stopping in front of the door and taking a deep breath to try and calm herself down.

After unlocking the locks that she could, she tried to open the door again, groaning slightly when it still wouldn't budge. For a brief moment she weighed the pros and cons of breaking the glass to try and unlock anything from the outside, but she quickly threw that idea out when she realized that between the noise of the glass breaking and her not knowing where all of the remaining locks were, Malfoy would surely get to her before she could escape.