Chapter 12 - Arguments

There wasn't much for me to do so I decided to check on the progress in the lab. I walk in to see Stark poking Banner. "OW."

"Hey!" I yell.

"Nothing?" Stark asks Banner.

"Are you nuts?" I ask.

"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"

I step over to Stark angrily, "Is everything a joke to you?"

"Funny things are."

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, Doctor." I nod over at Banner.

"No, it's alright. I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things."

"You're tiptoeing, big man. You need to strut." Stark points.

"And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark." I nod.

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"You think Fury's hiding something?" I narrow my eyes.

"He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets. It's bugging him too, isn't it?" Stark points at Banner.

"Uh...I just wanna finish my work here and..."

I turn to him, "Doctor?"

"A warm light for all mankind, Loki's jab at Fury about the cube."

"I heard it." I nod.

Banner points at Stark, "Well, I think that was meant for you. Even if Barton didn't post that all over the news."

"Stark Tower? That big ugly-" I stop as Stark gives me a look. "...building in New York?"

"It's powered by Stark Reactors, self-sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what, a year?" Banner asks.

"That's just the prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now."

"So, why didn't Shield bring him in on the Tesseract project? I mean, what are they doing in the energy business in the first place?" Banner asks.

"I should probably look into that once my decryption programmer finishes breaking into all of Shield's secure files."

I put my hands on my hips and turn back to Stark, "I'm sorry, did you say...?"

"Jarvis has been running it since I hit the bridge. In a few hours we'll know every dirty secret Shield has ever tried to hide." He holds out a bag of blueberries. "Blueberry?"

"Yet you're confused about why they didn't want you around?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"An intelligence organization that fears intelligence? Historically, not possible."

"I think Loki's trying to wind us up. This is a man who means to start a war, and if we don't stay focused, he'll succeed. We have orders, we should follow them." I nod.

"Following is not really my style."

I smile and shake my head, "And you're all about style, aren't you?"

"Of the people in this room, which one is; A. wearing a spangly outfit, and B. not of use?"

"Y/N, tell me none of this smells a little funky to you?" Banner asks.

I stare at him for a moment and take in the possibility, "Just find the cube." I quickly turn and walk into the hall.

I stop for a moment as I think about this, since I wasn't needed anywhere...I'm gonna do my own investigating.