Chapter 20 - Fight

After stealing my old suit from the museum, Maria, Sam, and I make it to shield and walk inside a control room with our weapons.

I take a deep breath and start to make an announcement. "Attention, all Shield agents. This is Y/N Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. Shield is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The Strike and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." I end my speech.

Sam smirks at me, "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" I shake my head and nod at Maria, I secure two of the chips in my belt and run outside with Sam. "Hey, Cap, how do we know the good guys from the bad guys?"

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad." I yell as Sam in his Falcon suit, flies off.

I leap down onto the first carrier, "Hey, Cap, I found those bad guys you were talking about."

"You okay?" I ask, leaping over a crate as I am shot at.

"I'm not dead yet." My shield bounces off a few soldiers as I flip in the air and punch one down, I catch it as I land and run to the doors. "Alright, Cap, I'm in."

"Eight minutes, Cap." Hill says.

"Working on it." I slide down a hallway, throwing my shield forward and hitting three agents. I kick the last soldier over a ledge and put the chip into the system. "Alpha locked."

"Falcon, where are you now?" Hill asks.

"I had to take a detour!" He pauses for a moment. "I'm in. Bravo locked."

"Two down, one to go....Six minutes."

I run outside and immediately duck as more soldiers shoot. They prepare a missile as I run to the edge. "Hey, Sam, I'm gonna need a ride."

"Roger! Let me know when you're ready."

I leap off the edge just as they fire the missile. "I just did!" Sam flies in just in time to catch me and flies us to the last carrier.

"You know, you're a lot heavier than you look." He smiles.

"I had a big breakfast...." Suddenly Bucky appears and kicks me off the edge.

"Y/N!" Sam yells as he tries and dive off to catch me. I fall onto the lower level, catching it just in time. "Cap? Cap, come in. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm here! I'm still on the Helicarrier!" I yell, pulling myself up. "Where are you?"

"I'm grounded, the suit's down. Sorry, Cap."

"Don't worry, I got it." I turn and quickly get inside.

I only had to take out a few soldiers before I face Bucky who was guarding the system. "People are gonna die, Buck. I can't let that happen...." Bucky stares at me coldly. "Please, don't make me do this."

Seeing Bucky won't back down, I throw my shield at him, he dodges and tries to stab me. I quickly kick him down and pull up the targeting system, the chip falls from my hand as Bucky grabs me.

He flips me off the bridge and I fall down to a lower level. I quickly try and grab the chip, failing as he leaps down and kicks my stomach. He stabs my shoulder as the chip falls, quickly going after it. I yank the knife out of my shoulder and drop down, grabbing Bucky in an armlock with one arm and hold his arm out with my other.

"Drop it! Drop it!" I yell, yanking his arm back until I hear a small snap. Bucky yells out and eventually passes out as I tighten my grip around his throat.

I grab the chip and start to climb back up. "One minute."  Suddenly I feel a sharp pain in my left thigh, I nearly fall as I look back to see Bucky shooting up at me. I pull myself up and bring up the targeting system again, this time being shot in my back through my stomach. I fall down and look at my bleeding stomach, starting to shake. "Thirty seconds, Cap!"

"Stand by." I stand and put the chip in. "Charlie..." Bucky shoots my shoulder. "Charlie locked." I quickly say.

"Okay, Cap, get out of there."

"Fire now." I hold onto my stomach.

"But, Y/N!"

"Do it! Do it now!" I scream as I am shot again in my side. The carrier shakes as they fire on each other. I carefully climb down to see Bucky was trapped under some debris. I use the little strength I have left to help him out. "You know me..."

"NO, I DON'T!" He leaps forward to punch me.

I stagger back up in front of him, "Bucky, you've known me your whole life." He lunges at me again but I refuse to fight him. "Your name...is James Buchanan Barnes."

"SHUT UP!!"

"I'm not gonna fight you." I take off my mask and drop my shield. "You are the love of my life..."

Bucky tackles me to the ground and sits above me. "You're my mission..." he punches me over and over again with each word. "YOU'RE.....MY......MISSION!"

"Then finish it..." I whisper, Bucky hesitates holding his fist up. "Cause I'm with you...to the end of the line." I slowly reach up and open my locket to show him our pictures. "I love you." Blood pours out of my mouth.

Bucky looks at me as if he's starting to remember, just then the bottom of the Helicarrier falls sending me down into the river below.

I wasn't sure how much time had past, but I wake up to music playing and Sam at my side. "On your left." I whisper. Sam looks over at me and smiles.

It took me about a month to heal from all my wounds, Sam was by my side the entire time. Today we were meeting Nick at his own grave.

He looks up at me, "So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?"

"You get used to it." I nod.

"We've been data-mining Hydra's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come."

"There's something I gotta do first." I sigh.

"How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities."

Sam shrugs, "I'm more of a soldier than a spy."

"Alright then." Sam and I both shake his hand. "Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here." Nick looks to his gravestone and walks away.

"You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." Natasha smirks as she walks over to us.

"Not going with him?" I ask.

"No."

"Not staying here?" I ask sadly.

"I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one."

"That might take a while." I nod.

"I'm counting on it. That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." She hands me a file titled "дело No 17" (file No 17) "Will you do me a favor? Call that nurse? You could be great friends."

"She's not a nurse." I smile.

"And you're not a Shield agent."

"What was her name again?" I ask.

"Sharon. She's nice." Natasha pulls me in and hugs me. She then leans up and kisses my cheek. "Be careful, Y/N. You might not want to pull on that thread." She looks at me one last time before walking off.

I sigh and open the file, which is about Bucky and the information regarding his Winter Soldier transformation. "You're going after him?" Sam asks.

"You don't have to come with me." I shake my head. 

"I know. When do we start?"