♟️The Last One♟️

After spending the night at Jaden's apartment, Desmond realized how much he enjoyed doing normal things.

Before dropping her off, they stopped to have breakfast at a small cafe near her campus. Then he spent the day at one of his community centers making some repairs and checking on the local kids.

Desmond and his boys had grown up in the hood, so they knew firsthand how much of a difference a community center could make. It was a place for kids to come after school and stay out of trouble. They could get homework help, and have access to the computers. The center also offered classes for all ages, that taught subjects such as English as a second language, resume enhancement, cooking, and even coding.

Once Desmond picked Jaden up, they went to get the Acura from his auto shop. It only needed an oil change, but he made sure it had a full tank of gas and was washed and detailed for her.

The couple returned to Jaden's apartment to drop off Desmond's AMG and went out on a dinner date, followed by a trip to the movies. For some people, this wasn't much but for both of them, these little things had been missing from their lives.

The following day, they woke up later in the afternoon. They'd slept in together since Jaden had to work that night and Desmond knew he'd be busy during the weekend handling important business.

They stood in the bathroom together, quietly brushing their teeth.

Desmond wiped his face before speaking, "You can come to my place after work if you don't wanna drive all the way home."

Jaden nodded before spitting into the sink, "I'll let you know how I'm feelin."

Desmond got dressed and left so she could have some alone time because, again, he was beginning to feel clingy. He decided to go into one of his offices and check on things.

"Sup bruh bruh," Jace greeted Desmond as he walked through the front door of their real estate office.

"What's up man, whatchu workin' on?" Desmond asked setting down his laptop bag.

"Uhh...where do I start?" Jace rubbed his hand down his face, then put his glasses back on, "There's a bunch of maintenance requests for one of the buildings on Harper street... the property manager at the apartments on Sequoia street quit and I can't get in touch with her for the keys to the rental office in the complex or their community center." He explained sounding stressed.

"How about I take Harper street, I gotta hire another maintenance tech soon." He suggested, "Call Marco for those locks, remember, he's got the locksmithing company. He'll take care of it." Desmond informed him. "And since that manager lives in one of the units, make sure we put her on notice since she breached her contract, we'll have to terminate her lease unless she's got a good reason for this. In the meantime, I'll see if I know anyone that's looking for a property manager position." Desmond sat down next to his brother.

Jace looked at his brother, impressed, "Well, that works."

"Anything else?" Desmond asked setting his laptop on the table and opening it.

"I heard back about that land we looked at, and as far as I'm concerned, it's as good as yours. " Jace confirmed scratching his five o'clock shadow. "Oh! I'm thinking about giving up the apartment I was renting near the school. Remember I paid it up in advance but, and I don't have any use for it." He explained.

Desmond sat for a minute, as a smile played on his lips, "I'll take it off your hands."

Jace snickered quietly not looking at his brother. He knew exactly what he was doing. "Yeah? what you need it for?" He asked casually.

Desmond mean mugged him.

"We can go over there whenever y'all ready and check it out together," Jace smirked.

"It's walking distance from the school?" Desmond recalled.

"Sure is. The buildings full of college kids, so ya know..." he trailed off.

"I'll meet you here after my trip tomorrow, her last class gets out at one." He informed Jace.

"Oh," Jace paused, "You do have that trip tomorrow huh?"

Desmond sighed and nodded his head.

The last one for me.

♟️•••••♟️