Prologue: Miscarriage

A stork hurries across the dusky, pre-dawn sky

A stork hurries across the dusky, pre-dawn sky. The clouds are low, the stars are bright, and the people of the world below sleep soundly.

In his bill, he supports a pair of twins, each tucked safely inside a cloth bag. They were being delivered to their parents, and on a calm night like tonight, it was a fairly simple task.

But just as the stork thought to himself how easy the job was, a shadow appears in the gap between the clouds and races towards the stork with blinding speed.

"SCRREEEECH!!!" the stork cried, wheeling backwards.

"The babies are mine!" the creature shouted, zipping by. Snatching only one of the twins, the vile creature vanishes into the darkness from whence it came.

The second baby falls undetected towards the open sea as the stork dizzily tried to steady itself. But too late does the stork correct itself, and as it looks in all directions there is no sign of either child...

___

There is an island in the Celtic sea that sits yet untouched by the outside world. It is home to many ancient creatures, specifically a race of prehistoric dinosaurs. The T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas, or often just the Yoshi, are docile reptiles the size of velociraptors.

Keeping to themselves and living amongst the thick forests of their island has allowed them to remain undiscovered, but their peaceful little island was in for a rude awakening.

Dawn broke over the horizon, light spilling over the water and breaking through the trees. However it wasn't the day that woke this particular Yoshi, but the sounds of a child crying.

Yoshi looked up to see a baby dangling from a tree branch, tangled in shredded cloth. He gave the baby a quizzical look before the cloth snapped.

Suddenly, the baby dropped down onto his back.

Fortunately the baby seemed to be fine, but Yoshi had never seen a creature like this before. It did however have an odd defining trait; a red hat that it held tight to for dear life.

Before Yoshi could figure out what to do with the thing, something else fell out of the sky, hitting him in the head before falling to the ground.

It looked like a map, but Yoshi had no idea what it meant or where exactly it lead.

Unable to figure it out, he tucked it into his shell and patted the baby's head. Then he headed into the trees looking to find the other Yoshies. Maybe they could help.

___

"AAAAAAAAAAKK!!!"

Kamek, the evil Magikoopa, and kidnapper of the twin with a green hat, stomped his feet in anger, discovering that he missed the other baby!

Quickly, he sent out his troops to locate the missing child, staring at the squirming sack in front of him.

___

Yoshi heads leisurely back to the other Yoshies, unaware of the danger at hand.

Kamek's forces are actively searching the island.

Will these two ever reach their parents safely?

________________________________________________________________________________

Prologue: Miscarriage

I wrote this during my time on heavy duty painkillers. I'd just gotten out of surgery where I had all my teeth drilled out of my skull.

I regret nothing.