Chapter 1

Smoke billowed from the Hogwarts Express. The clock read eleven o'clock even and the train started to move. I stuck my head out the the window and waved at my parents. I kept waving until they were two specks.

Ron and I just left the prefects carriage and were looking for our friends.

After a few minutes of looking, we found them in a compartment near the front of the train. There was pretty much no room so Ron had to squeeze next to Hermione whose face had turned deep red.

I looked out of the window and listened to Harry and Ron fight over a chocolate frog. Hermione was telling Ginny all about a book she just read even though she wasn't paying attention.

The door of the compartment swig open and Neville stepped in.

"Is there any room for me? Everywhere else is full." he said. Hermione started to answer but I spoke over her.

"Take my spot." I said. "I'm going walk around for a bit." I stood and walked out the door and Neville thanked me as I walked past.

I grinned at him and walked down the train searching for more of my Gryffindor friends or maybe some Ravenclaws.

"Miss Summers?" I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned around to see Professor McGonagal. "Please take your seat, we'll be arriving at Hogwarts soon." she said then walked away.

I looked around me and realized what part of the train I wandered into. Slytherin students were sitting in the compartments around me, some talking with friends and some glaring at me.

I turned to walk away before more noticed me but at that moment, the train went pitch black. Around me, people are bumping into things and talking in confused voices.

I'm knocked off of my feet and my head hits the floor. Stars dot my vision as I try to sit up. Once I get up I'm just knocked down again, falling on top of someone.

As the train slowly gets bright again, I find myself looking into the silver eyes of Draco Malfoy.

"Get off me, Summers." he mumbled as he shoved me away from him. I stood up as quickly as possible and started backing away, wanting to get out of there.

"What are you doing here anyway? Come to see me?" he asked smirking. I rolled my eyes.

"You wish." I said through gritted teeth. I turned away from Malfoy and walked out of the Slytherin section of the train back to my friends.

***

I walked into the Gryffindor common room with Hermione. Ron and Harry had left the feast quickly after Dumbledore finished his short speech. They were probably both in bed already.

"What happened on the train?" Ginny asked.

"I just ran into Malfoy." I mumbled. Hermione laughed.

"What a great way to start the year off." she said. "We should get to bed. We all have classes in the morning."

"But I have Snape." I said. "I don't want to go to class."

"I'm sure you don't want to miss breakfast." said Ginny, smiling.

"Why didn't you start with that!" I said, standing up. "You know how hard it is for me to wake up early!"

***
Today I have double Defense Against the Dark Arts with Snape then Potions with Slughorn. This year isn't looking very promising.

***

Luckily, Snape hadn't assigned any essays or homework today. But if he did I just didn't hear. I had doodled all over my my parchment I was supposed to be taking notes on.

Right now, I was walking to Potions with Hermione.

When we went in the room, there were some cauldrons with potions brewing in them.

There were a few students standing behind the cauldrons.

Behind us , the door opened and Slughorn walked in. He started to ask questions about the potions he brewed when the door opened again and Ron and Harry walked in.

Harry started to apologize for being late but Slughorn told him to come in and join the class.

***
Slughorn has offered us a vial of felix felicis for making a draught of living death. Everyone around me are working hard to get the vial.

I'm not really trying though. I've always been very bad at potions. I do want the liquid luck but I know my potion will probably be the worst in the class. I'm just throwing the ingredients in the cauldron

***
Harry and Slughorn are standing in front of the class. Slughorn holds up the vial of liquid luck and hands it to Harry.

"Use it well." he tells Harry when he takes it from Slughorn's hand.

***
Next I have a free period so I head back to the common room.

I go around a corner and run into someone.

"Watch where you're going, Summers." a voice said. "Just can't stay away can you?"

"Get out of the way, Malfoy." I replied trying to get around him. He spreads out his arms and blocks the hallway. I clench my fists, not wanting to put up with this right now. "Move." I said gritting my teeth.

"Why should I?" he replied smirking, apparently satisfied with how annoyed I was getting. "Since when do I take orders from you?"

I turned around and walked away. I would just find another way to the common room.

A/N   Sorry it took so long for me to write this first chapter!!

Hope you enjoy! Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!!

I own Katelyn Summers, not Harry and his friends or some of the scenes!

Cover by elizabethhensmen

~Padfoot