Revenge

I don't own FMA(B) or any of its characters.

________________________________________

It was a bright and cloudless summer day in Resembol. The sun was resting high in the sky and it seemed to touch every blade of grass in the rolling emerald fields outside the Rockbell home. The air was hot but a cool breeze provided some relief- that and the shade of the tree he was under. For Edward, it was a perfect day. He let out a content sigh as he leaned against the smooth wooden trunk of the maple tree. He'd finally done it- he'd finally attained the equivalent exchange for all of his past hardships, which was true happiness.

The toll he'd paid for it had been extensive, but in the end, it was worth it.

Alphonse had his body back, he had his arm back, and the two of them were finally home. He didn't even mind that he still had an Automail leg. Actually, he preferred it because it was a constant reminder of all the things he'd been through in order to achieve the current state of absolute peace he was in.

And there was nothing in the world that could take that serenity away.

"Edward!" A voice pulled him from his reverie. He smiled as he turned towards her. Winry. She was the epitome of this summer day; with her golden hair that mimicked the rays of sun, and her deep blue eyes that reflected the sky. And her smile was the gentle breeze that calmed him.

She walked over to him, a tray in hand, and sat by his side, "I brought you lunch." She placed the tray in his lap and beamed.

"Thanks." He said, eyes lowering to the tray. There was what looked to be a ham sandwich, cut strawberry rounds, celery, and... milk.

He glowered at the last item. Milk. There was no enemy more formidable than the thick creamy liquid. He didn't understand why people even drank the stuff. Did they know where it came from?

Cow breasts.

He repressed a gag at the thought as he plucked a strawberry piece into his mouth.

"What are you doing out here anyways?" Winry asked, fiddling with a bolt and its washer in her hands.

Edward swallowed a bite of his sandwich and shrugged, "Nothing better to do, I guess."

"You must be pretty bored being at home, huh? I'm not surprised. Compared to the action you're used to I'm sure this feels dull." He turned to look at her, and she was still smiling, though this time it didn't reach her eyes. He didn't like it when she was sad, and especially not when she tried to hide it behind a counterfeit smile.

He picked up a strawberry chunk and threw it at her. The red fruit bounced off her nose and onto the ground, and her girlish squeal of surprise made him laugh. "Idiot." He said, but not unkindly.

"You're an idiot." She huffed.

Chuckling, he finished his sandwich and set the tray down at his side. Winry narrowed her eyes at him, and he inwardly groaned as her gaze darted from him to the milk and back;

"You didn't drink your milk."

"Why would I?" He replied defensively, "I hate it."

"Ugh." She shook her head in disappointment, "You never change, do you?"

She picked up the bottle of milk and held it to his face, "Drink it."

"No." He refused to digest such a disgusting thing. Leaning away from the bottle, he shook his head, "You can't make me."

Winry grinned in a way that made him sweat, "You think I can't?"

At a great speed, Edward hopped onto his feet and pointed an accusatory finger at the girl, "Not if you can't catch me." He then stuck his tongue out at her before taking off in the direction behind him. He heard a feminine growl closely behind him and picked up his speed with an extra fear-induced adrenaline punch driving him on.