Chapter 4

A/N: 3k words. honestly, I feel like this chapter is a bit blah. The picture above is how Jamie looks like. TY for reading!

Day 2

Pain

Jamie felt a white pain in his lower back. The bright lights in the room were starting to blur.

He heard a woman, his mother, cry out his name followed by a painful scream.

Then all at once, the pain was gone, the noise muted itself.

Jamie took his last breath. Submerging himself into darkness. before he felt something cold hit his face.

*Splash*

Jamie woke with an icy start. He scrambled around on his bed before falling over.

"Jamie, I've been calling you for the past ten minutes. It's time to get up bud"

Jamie's breathing was ragged. He put his hand to his face, then the rest of his body, checking himself for wounds.

You frowned "Did I really scare you? Usually, you don't wake up this spooked when I hit you with ice water"

Jamie finally stood up "Y-yea I'm fine. Had a nightmare"

You let out a soft hum in response. You walked over to him and gently placed your hand on his face" wanna talk about it?"

"Not really." He took your hand in his as he leaned into yours.

Another soft hum came from your lips "ya know. I've been having vivid dreams as well." you placed your forehead on his. A gesture the two always do when they are having a heart-to-heart. "you could always wake me if you have nightmares, Jay."

Jamie took a deep breath. He felt like it's been forever since he last had this sort of moment with his mother. He then let out a huff "Mom, I'm sixteen." He pulled away and flipped his wet hair. "I'm too old for that."

You shook your head "is this coming from the same kid who refused to sleep on his own for years?"

Jamie felt his cheeks turn red "I-I-I don't know what you're talking about."

you laughed "I'm sure you don't. I made some pancakes for us. Start eating and get ready for the cafe."

you gave her son a kiss on the head before leaving his room.

Jamie watched his adoptive mother leave the door to his room slightly open. He looked down at his hands with his brows furrowed, "that dream felt more like a memory."

A thought popped up like a light switch had been turned on. He moved to a calendar on his desk and checked the date.

"I died on the 25th. It's the 22nd" A chuckle escaped his lips. Then laughter filled the room "I will not die again."

***

Bruce sat at his usual seat at the dinner table. Tim and Jason bickered about who would get the last Alfred cookie while Damian sat in silence, deep in thought. Dick had his head on the table with the occasional whispers.

"Alright. Who is Y/N?"

Jason and Tim froze then everyone looked at their father who still sipped from his mug.

"We told you, she's the barista we met at the cafe," Jason said, adjusting his hair and sitting down.

"Hmm..." he took another sip of his morning coffee

"Why do you ask father?"

Bruce finally put the mug down and intertwined his fingers together "Forgive me for being nosy, but I couldn't help but notice all the information on her in the bat computer. In addition to your reaction every time her name is mentioned. And this is the longest I've seen Dick stay here in the manor. This includes you, Jason."