[ one. ]

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

Piper felt a pool of nerves in her stomach as she stepped through the doors of her new place of employment, she could feel the ac blow at her hair as she glanced around.

A tall woman with her brown hair pulled back into a tight ponytail approached her, stride full of purpose, she reminded Piper of one of her favourite co-workers from her hometown, an ambitious salesman turned manager.

"Are you Beasley?" She asked, precise, straight to the point. Piper nodded while the woman, who's name tag read Dina, looked her up and down before sticking her hand out for a shake that Piper hesitantly took. "Come with me, we'll go over your details before your shift starts"

Piper followed the woman over to a small picnic display. The younger brunette girl shared a glance with a man who sat in a lounge chair, awaiting his own interview.

Dina sat at the bench, clipboard in hand "I like to do things alphabetically, would have been nice if you were on time but I'll let it slide since it's your first day" she stated before lowering her eyes to the clipboard.

"Full name?"

Piper froze for a moment, before responding at Dina's apprehensive gaze "Piper Sylvia Beasley"

Dina cringed slightly "that is an awful name, it's like a cheese grater against my brain. Age and date of birth?"

"Twenty-Seven," Piper felt a small smile cross her features "August 10th, 1988"

"Why'd you move out of Pennsylvania?" was her next question. Piper blinked, not expecting the question. She paused for a moment, thoughtfully.

"Well" she began "there was just no point anymore, I mean my sisters all had family's of their own and my parents didn't really need me, I just needed a-"

"Not interesting." Dina sighed, before raising her eyes back to Pipers' face, observing her. "Your hair needs to be tied back, your nose ring is against corporate code and so is showing tattoos. Vest and name tag are in your locker" she told her rapidly. Piper hesitated for a moment, before the older woman glared at her "Scram!" she shouted.

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

Piper stood against a wall while people filtered into the small break room. Like her first day at Dunder Mifflin, she was an outsider, by the time she had been able to intern there as a receptionist after Pam joined The Michael Scott Paper Company they had already been at least halfway through the documentary process, not part of the original crew.

She felt a presence beside her and glanced over to see the dark haired man who had been sitting on the lounge chair. He smiled at her, a bit awkwardly.