Charlie and Science Bitch Put on a Show

Dennis, Mac, Frank, and Dee watched in horror from the Range Rover as Charlie entered the apartment complex. They had no idea how Charlie got here so fast.

"How the hell did he get here so fast?" Mac asked rhetorically, but Dennis restarted his car.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Frank reached over, grabbing at the wheel only to be swatted away.

"Back to the bar. It's over."

"One of us has to go up there!" Frank insisted.

"I'll do it!" Mac volunteered, but they unanimously shut him down. The last thing they needed was a preachy closet-case dealing with whatever the hell Charlie was going through.

Frank started to open the door, and everyone also unanimously agreed he should not be the one to go. He'd make it worse, even though it was his stupid plan.

Dee outright refused, though no one asked her.

So, like everything else, it was up to Dennis. But while he pretended to piss and moan, he knew this was coming. He knew this plan would fall apart and expected something similar to transpire. Thankfully, he planned accordingly. Always finding a bright side. He handed the keys to Dee and left without another word, following Charlie into the building.

...

16, 17, 18, 19, 20!

Charlie was panting at the top of the stairs, slipping his hand under the mat and retrieving the key. Please don't be home.

The apartment was dark, and everything still seemed in order. Why Dee and Mac came here was unclear, but at least they didn't steal anything. But, he needed to focus.

After shutting the door Charlie began to strip. Leaving a trail of clothes behind him to the bathroom. Clean. Science Bitch wouldn't like a dirtgrub, and despite what Dennis said people liked him. Dirty, or not. But, he wanted to be clean for Science Bitch. Especially if he wanted this to work.

The shower roared to life and Charlie went to work, determined to prove the Gang wrong.

Dennis saw Charlie slip into the apartment and waited a good five minutes before entering. It was dark, and the sound of running water and trail of clothes tipped Dennis off to where Charlie was. He had time.

Slinking into the kitchen he found the envelope easily enough. Stored in the fridge beneath a pack of beer, the perfect spot for Charlie to discover. Dennis took a seat at the table, and for the first time slipped the mysterious photos from the envelope. He expected something titillating. Compromising photos of Charlie or Science Bitch, but what Frank had gotten was simple sabotage, though not very interesting.

Poorly taken polaroid shots of Science Bitch and the Waitress at the coffee shop, dated this morning. As Dennis flipped through the stack, the story evolved.

They were talking in the first few, then she leaned over to him. The last photo was of them embracing, Science Bitch's eyes wide while hers were shut tight. Her fist grasping his coat and forcing him to stay put. It looked unwelcome but he was sure Charlie would be unable to see past the kiss.

With a tsk of disappointment, Dennis returned them to the envelope and stuffed it into his jacket pocket. Who knows, they might come in handy.

He took the liberty of exploring the apartment as Charlie showered, running his fingers over figurines and straightening the occasional crooked frame. What would it be like to live as Science Bitch? With Charlie desperate in the palm of your hand? He strolled into the bedroom.