Chapter Nine

Harley sighed, setting up the streamers. She was almost done with the decorations when Ayla walked in. "Hey," she said, setting a present on the table. "Need any help?"

Harley started hanging up another streamer, "not from you." As she said that the ladder she was standing on started to wobble. Ayla rushed over and steadied it. "Thanks." Harley muttered, finishing hanging up the streamer before climbing down.

Ayla smiled, "no problem." There was a moment of tense silence. "I'm sorry."

Harley raised an eyebrow, "you are?"

"Yeah. I was being a jackass. I want to make it up to you." She got her present from the table and handed it to Harley. "Open it."

"But it's not time for that yet."

Ayla shrugged, "so what? I want to know what you think of it. I'm... kinda nervous." Harley sighed and opened it, pulling out a framed photo of her, Ayla, Merissa, and Lukas. "So... what do you think?" She asked, a hopeful glint in her eyes.

Harley hugged her, "I love it!" After she pulled away, it seemed like she was in thought, staring at the picture. There was a small smile on her face. "I missed this."

Ayla hugged her again, "me too. I'm sorry for being such a terrible friend."

"I am too. I should have been happy for you when West took an interest in you."

"I shouldn't have gone out with him that night or Robbie. Then none of this would've happened."

"Don't beat yourself up. We all made mistakes."

After a couple minutes of silence, Ayla started shifting nervously. "Harley..."

"Yeah?"

"Is it okay that I may have invited someone that you didn't necessarily have on your guest list?"

"Is it someone I hate?"

"Probably." Robbie said, walking in through the front door. He set a present on the table. "Happy Birthday?" He looked at her and smirked a little when he saw her glaring at him.

Then she turned her glare to Ayla, making her involuntarily flinch. "Ayla!" Harley said.

"Sorry!" Ayla said. "I figured if I kept you guys apart it would be fine!"

Harley glared at Robbie, who was still smirking. She took a quick glance at Ayla again before relenting. "Fine. As long as you don't do anything."

He gave her an innocent look, "what would I do?"

"Robbie!" Harley yelled, seeing him hanging out with some of her friends. 

"What?" He asked, standing up from his place on the couch. "Can I not talk to anybody now?" 

"No, you can't. If you want to talk to someone, go talk to Ayla." She looked over and saw Ayla standing in the kitchen by herself. "She's all alone, now go!" 

"Okay," he sighed walking over to Ayla. When she saw him, she instantly smiled and motioned him over. 

"Happy birthday!" Harley heared someone yell from behind before getting enveloped in a hug. 

"Hey Merissa," she chuckled. She turned around and hugged her back. "How is he?" 

Merissa became more serious. "Better. Well, not better but he's not dying either." 

Harley sighed in relief, "good." 

"Open my present." Merissa demanded, shoving the present into Harley's hands. I have no idea where that came from.