ten

10 — halt

"Please stop crying... At least stop with the sobs... You're an ugly cryer."
♡︎

Everyone says that there is that moment where you know you have messed up

Everyone says that there is that moment where you know you have messed up. When your throat constricts and you constantly feel sick and every time you think about the next time you will see the person you fucked over you feel a sense of doom. Unable to move. Total shock. You hope you're overreacting. Overwhelmed, even.

It's all you think about - it's all Marlene is thinking about. Staring at her ceiling for this past hour, thinking about nothing but Adam. She stopped crying a while ago. She's exhausted. Still in her dress, still in her heels, her makeup smudged and her hair a bit messy.

She managed to slink in without waking her mother. The worst part is - to her at least - is that she really wants to talk to Charlie. Maybe he could fix what she's done.

She knows it's a bad idea. Yet she walks down the sidewalk on her way to the Minnesota Club after finding out that Charlie isn't with Casey. She most definitely knows this could end horribly.

Charlie will be pissed. So will everyone else. It's risky, and probably really dumb. But if there's anybody who knows Adam better than she does, it's Charlie. He and Adam may bicker, but they really get each other.

Charlie can keep his mouth shut real well - plus there's just some things that Adam won't tell Marlene, but he'll tell Charlie. Not to forget the fact that Elizabeth and Kiara knew that Adam liked Marlene, so that means that Charlie definitely knows, and so do the rest of the Ducks, probably.

That's the thing that makes this situation so upsetting. Everyone knew how Adam felt about Marlene, except for Marlene.

Granted, Marlene didn't even know her feelings until Kiara brought it up, and even then she was still unsure. She feels stupid, and she keeps thinking about what Adam must be thinking and how he probably feels. Because however much she is crushed, Adam is probably worse. She saw that anger in eyes, that changed to defeat and sadness rather quickly.

Walking so fast that the night air chills her nose, Marlene's mind is hating the idea of speaking to Charlie yet her legs keep walking. She feels sick - hell, she might be. Don't rollercoasters get you sick after eating? Well, Marlene has been on a hell of an emotional rollercoaster, so she could very well be.

Maybe saying she is actually sick is exaggerating - though she does feel like she could puke.

The lampposts are spread out, so she walks into darkness and steps into light again. The cold nights of Autumn are really getting to her. She regrets not getting a coat before she left the apartment so quickly. She counts her steps until she reaches the bright strip of restaurants.

Just in time.

She sees Charlie exit the Minnesota Club, obviously fuming. Russ tries to lighten him up with a pat on the back as he says, "We'll get 'em back, dude."