𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚.

↬ 𝒾𝓂𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓈𝑒𝒹 ↫

↬ 𝒾𝓂𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓈𝑒𝒹 ↫

"So how did I do...?" You whisper with a nervous smile as you stand with Xiao outside Wanmin Restaurant.

"You're really talented, Y/n," he says, taking his wallet out of his pocket and pulling out a pouch of mora. He holds it out to you.

"H-Huh? I don't need that, you can keep it-" 

"Take it. If they won't pay you, I will. You seem to need it more than I do."

Is he saying I look poor?

"And what about me says that I need your mora?" You ask, crossing your arms over your chest.

"You haven't bought a new piano, even though you're clearly passionate about it, and you don't ask for payment when you play for other people."

...

You groan in annoyance and take the pouch from his hand, putting it inside your purse. He smirks victoriously.

"Let me walk you home," he suggests, glancing skyward. "It's dark."

"Such keen observation skills," you attempt to joke, hoping to hush your nerves because of the fact that you're literally standing right next to your idol, and he just offered to walk you home.

He cracks a small smile, but it disappears quickly, "Lead the way."

"I didn't even say you could-"

"I'm not letting you walk alone at night, that's dangerous."

"W-Well, good thing I wouldn't have said no anyway."

You shove your hands into your pockets and begin the walk to your apartment complex. Xiao follows your lead, staying beside you. He's close enough for your shoulders to brush against each other, and every time they do so, your heart raises. Still, a question lingers in your head.

Why did he want to hear me play in the first place?

As if he's reading your mind, he answers, "Our pianist has moved on to another project, so we need to find someone else."

You look over at him with wide eyes, "And I'm an option for that...?"

"I recorded you playing," he says. "If you want to play for us, I'll send it to my manager and suggest for you to be our new pianist."

You grin and jump, "No way! Really!? Of course, that'd be awesome! You really think I'm good enough for that?"

"Of course... You doubt it?" He stares at you with a confused glimmer in his eyes.

"Oh, well... I know I'm not the worst, but I always listen to a bunch of other people, and they always sound better, so..."

"You're still very talented," Xiao states. "I think you have a good chance at becoming our pianist. You're skilled, you're emotional, and you know our style."

"Thank you," you look away sheepishly. "It means a lot, coming from you..."

Silence ensues. It's awkward for you, but he seems comfortable, so it's fine. The snow is still falling gently, landing and melting in your hair. The small amount of snowflakes on the sidewalk crunch beneath your feet. Winter has always been your favorite season. Snow is peaceful, and it can be beautiful. It's also nice to cover yourself in blankets to stay warm while the rest of the area around you is freezing, though it's almost painful to leave the blankets. Plus, it's festive! Even though you don't have a family to celebrate with anymore, you still love Christmas.

Christmas music is still awful, but everything else is fine.

You think about his question from earlier; why you don't have a piano anymore. It saddens you to think about, but you decide you should probably tell the truth, especially after he gave you so much money.

"I had to sell my piano."

Xiao turns his head to look at you, awaiting elaboration.

"My mom got sick and had to have a liver transplant. I wasn't lying when I said the piano was old, so it didn't give me much money, but I was kinda desperate. I regret that now."

You don't spare him a glance, continuing to look forward.

"Is she..." 

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry."

"What? Why?" You ask, finally gazing over to him.

"I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry for asking earlier."

"It's not like you knew, it's fine," you shrug. "Oh geez, I made the conversation dark, I'm sorry! I need to stop doing that. Especially since we barely know each other... Oh god, I'm so embarrassing..."

"Why do you say that?"

"I just do a bunch of things that embarrass myself. An example of that would be what caused you to know of my existence in the first place..."

For the first time during the night, Xiao chuckles. Your heart flutters at the sound of it, and you turn your head to hide your growing blush. How can someone be so hot and pretty at the same time!?

"So..." You think it's best to change the subject. "How much would I be paid?"

He raises his eyebrow at you and looks at you from the corner of his eye, "I thought you didn't care about that."

"Well I have to know! It's getting hard to pay my rent..."

"You'll get more than enough for that, I'm sure."

"Good."

"If my manager likes your playing enough, you'll get to do a proper interview. That's where she'll tell you all the details like that," he adds.

"Cool!"

I can't wait to tell Kit about this when I get home.

After a few more minutes, you finally arrive at your apartment complex. You stop in front of the path branching from the sidewalk to the building and Xiao copies your action.

"T-Thanks for walking me home," you stutter. "I appreciate it."

"Anytime."

"...Are you just saying 'anytime' or do you actually mean there may be other occasions where you walk me home?"

"What do you think?" He asks.

"Wait, that was a stupid question, I'm sorry! Ah, I'm getting nervous again..." You mutter to yourself.

Xiao takes a step closer to you, "What are you nervous for?"

"N-Nervous? Me? No way. Um, anyway, gotta blast, bye!" You wave and dash down the path, rushing to get behind the door as if it'll save you from the sinking embarrassment in your chest.

"Gotta blast"!? Do people even say that anymore? I really need to think before speaking sometimes...

Xiao just gazes toward the building with amusement clear in his expression. He pulls out his phone and texts you, as if he's trying to make your embarrassment worse.

Me
I'll walk you home anytime you feel unsafe going alone.
sent 8:34 pm

Y/n⛧
Thanks! ^^
sent 8:34 pm

He takes a picture of the building and the street sign nearby so he knows which street it's on before seeing your reply pop up on the screen. After reading your response, he heads to the nearest bus stop.

Y/n. What an interesting person.