Chapter Nine: Rollan-Part Two

~part two of chapter 9~

THE UNDERWAY

A vivid light shone into Rollan's closed eyes. He lay still, breathing slowly, his entire body sore with wounds, as he listened to the two voices who moved around him. 

"Elden! I think you killed the boy when you shot him with that dart." Boomed a femine voice angrily. 

"I told you they are only for the Cave Lurker's, not people! Also you shoot them on the neck, not the chest. He will probably be in a lot of pain because of the stupid shot you made!" 

"Sorry, I'll try better next time." Said a male to his right. "But to be fair, they were very high and you couldn't have done any better." 

"I could have!" She shouted, but had a more comical tone this time. 

"Next time you shoot!" He joked. A hand pressed into his throat and a boy said, "He's alive Jada, his heart is beating." 

"But he is probably dying at this moment. Mother will not be very pleased when she hears you killed another Kar." The girl spoke.

 "The last two had just fallen through The Hole and I didn't get to them before the Bat's did. Not my fault. Blame Eebia, she wanted to show me her new sword she made out of the bones of a Raptor." 

"You still hang with that girl, didn't she try to make you a weapon one time and it was so sharp you accidently cut off someone's fingers when carrying it in the tunnels?" 

"That was one time and she's my sister, so I will always talk to her." 

"Fine. But don't come to me when she convinces you to try a blade made out of the bones of your right hand." 

Elden laughed and started to lean into Rollan's neck as he soon forgot the boy was still under his hand. The Greencloak flicked his eyes open, lifted the hand from his throat, and took a deep breath as the pressure lifted. Elden yelped and leaped to his feet in fright. 

"You're alive!" He said. 

Rollan looked up at the two people lit by a torch who looked around the age of nineteen. Jada had striking green eyes that shimmered like a clear lake, long braided brown hair, an indigo dress covered in orange leaf-like designs, and a black cloak with a fur rim around the top. Elden had slate gray eyes, a brown tunic with leather laced into it, a set of red pouches at his belt, and a sword strapped across his back. The only thing they both carried was a matching set of white-stoned amulets around their neck. 

"Where am I?" Rollan remarked. 

"This is the Underway. You fell through The Hole and were caught by a Cave Shifter before you could hit the spikes." Jada pointed to the tall, angled death sticks a few steps ahead. The Greencloak swallowed back his fear that he had come seconds away from his death and turned back to the two strangers. 

"What happened to the bat? You hit it with a spear, where is it?" Rollan said, not seeing a carcass anywhere. 

"It got away before we could fully kill the beast. But my spear is still in the neck." Elden spoke. "It should die in a few hours. The good thing is you are safe, not being eaten by a man-sized winged animal." 

"Elden, you almost choked him to death and shot him in the wrong place." Jada stated. "On top of that, that creature is still out there. Be more careful next time!" 

"No, it's fine. He did me no harm." Rollan said. He patted his chest, "The dart hit me, but I pulled it out before it took full effect." 

Elden bowed his head and placed out his right hand as a kind gesture. "I'm Elden and this is Jada." Rollan inhaled his own name as he saw the young man's hand was an assortment of animal scales combined in the shape of a false human limb. A few fish scales, snake, lizard, and maybe Raptor were tied together with what looked to be thin grass.