Chapter One: Rollan

THE DREAM

Rollan let out a large yawn as he stretched, blinking away the weariness in his eyes. Beside him Essix, his spirit animal, let out a soft chirp, flexing her talons and shaking out ruffled feathers. The morning sun streamed through the open window in the room, casting bright rays of sunshine onto the boy's face.

It had been one year since the incident with empress Song and Erdas was healing quickly. Olvan had sent the Greencloaks into damaged parts of Amaya, Nilo, Zhong, Eura, Stetriol, Oceanus, and Arctica to help repair buildings and structures. While Stead dispatched the Redcloaks to assist with the capture of all the Oathbound. Rollan was sent with Abeke, Conor, and Meilin to Greenhaven where they and a few others straitened up the mess after the place was used as a prison. Lenori convinced the four to also hide their bond tokens they had created so evil would never get a hold of them. Rollan was crushed as he reluctantly hid Tarik's cloak deep in Greenhaven's library and took up a new green on, but he knew that it was for the best of Erdas.  But I still do miss it. Wish there was another way? He thought, then forcefully pushed it away. 

Rollan leaned off the bed and felt a flicker of surprise as Essix flew over his head rest towards the door. The gyrfalcon screeched and shrieked, her talons scraping away the wood. "Okay! Give me a minute." He spoke and stood up. He blinked and slowly made way towards the bird who was fussing like a storm. She didn't stop until the boy opened it and she shot out into the hall. "Essix!" He yelled as she almost knocked down a passing man with her wings. "Sorry!" Helping the man to his feet the boy watched as the bird disappeared around the far corner. "Where are you going!?" He yelled and continued along. 

Giving chase, Rollan followed her down a hallways, then came upon a crowd of busy Greencloaks, all wearing the dreary look of early morning. A woman with a fox dancing around her feet elbowed him in the chest while another smacked the boy's face with their large fist. "Yowl!" He shouted and fell to his knees a sharp sting in his nose. Blood spilled down and he wiped it away, dizzy as he got back up. Above Essix circled, chirping angrily. "Fine, I'm coming." Rollan said gingerly, getting to his  shaking feet. Everyone watched on as he pursued after the falcon, yelling in pain and anger any time she turned back and attacked the boy with a intense flap of her amber wings. Eventually, Essix decided she had had enough and shot down the nearest exit, ignoring the elder with wide eyes of surprise. Rollan screamed at her and followed, his head spinning. 

The bird flew a few feet ahead, her wingspan flying past any Greencloaks who were in the hall. With a final turn, Essix landed outside of the dinning hall, her eyes glimmering in the candle light. "You done yet?" He snapped.  Essix chirped and cried a shrill sound, landing on top a stray mouse that was creeping about.  She bit off its head cleanly and swallowed the meat, then glanced up at the boy. "Really! All that for a snack?" He asked and shook his head. 

He was about to give up in disappointment when he noticed they were alone, no one else was in this part of Greenheaven castle, except for a pair of lone voices. Rollan glanced around and saw they were coming from inside the dinning room. The bird chirped and hopped closer to the door. "OK, you want me to go in?" He asked, but she only replied with a sharp nick to his ear. Quietly opening it open he saw a dim fire in the fireplace and two people sitting by the table. The first was a woman with a long tan dress and strands of beads and feathers in her blue hair. Lenori . He thought. The next was a boy with golden-blond hair and a large gray wolf laying by his side. Conor.

"So you had another dream, was it the same as the one before?" Lenori asked, looking into Conor's blue eyes. 

"Yes, almost exactly." The blond said. "That's why I came to you once more. This is the sixth time it has happened."